Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
- Start date: September 2020
- Location: Newport
- Application closing date: 10th November 2019
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
We are presently looking for a Graduate Software Engineer to join our Communications Product Engineering group. This role can be based from our Newport site but includes scope to travel across our other UK sites. You will gain hands-on experience in all facets of Software Engineering from Software Design and Development through to Integration, Commission and Test and will have the opportunity to deal with challenging situations in a real world conditions. Also you will have access to a catalogue of training, both online and in person, which will enable you to develop your skills and experience.
Main activities of the role may include
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Participation in the Graduate Engineer Training Programme
- Attendance of Graduate Training course
- Enthusiasm, desire and ability to develop into a Software Engineer, where tasks will be:
- Analysing requirements and specifying the software solution and work breakdown
- Writing source code to implement all aspects of the software detailed design
- Software Testing
- Integration of software onto the target platform
- Providing software technical support
- Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following;
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in Software/Electronics-based Engineering or similar discipline
- Knowledge of Python, C, and modern coding practices highly advantageous
- Understanding of IP Networking highly advantageous
- Knowledge of Linux and Linux networking functions highly advantageous
- Knowledge of Software Modelling Techniques Using UML advantageous but not necessary
- Active engagement with Open Source community advantageous.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
This role will be based in Newport and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email email@example.com. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
One application: Make It Possible, Make It Happen, Make It Fly ...Count!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!