Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
- Start date: September 2020
- Location: Portsmouth
- Application closing date: 10th November 2019
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
Due to recent contract wins, Airbus Defence and Space (ADS) are looking for a Product Assurance Engineer to join our Satellite Telecoms Business. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for ensuring product design quality and performance compliance throughout the lifecycle of the spacecraft, with a focus on satellite payloads. Working in a project environment, you will manage interfaces with the external customer and internal stakeholders in Design, Manufacturing and Supply Chain.
Through the two-year Graduate Development Programme (GDP), you will receive a structured introduction to Quality within the space industry by working around the business to build experience and networks. The GDP will start with six months in Telecoms Product Assurance before a six month placement in Quality Assurance working in the cleanroom with equipment and/or spacecraft hardware. In your second year, you will drive your own development by seeking and completing placements in business areas / locations (including outside the UK) where you wish to build experience. Throughout your time on the GDP you will develop contacts in your graduate cohort and beyond, attend additional business-focused training and have the opportunity to participate in a graduate project.
Following the GDP you will re-join the Product Assurance team to personally manage and lead the quality assurance activities on a telecoms satellite. Based in Portsmouth, with scope to travel as the project requires, your responsibilities would be to:
- Ensure spacecraft components and equipment meet customer requirements based on international standards (Space ECSS and ISO standards)
- Coordination of problem investigation, resolution and long-term corrective activity
- Declaration of conformance to Customer and business that the Payload delivered from Portsmouth is fully compliant
Main activities of the role may include;
- Customer interface: Developing a positive relationship with our customer to keep them informed of progress and any major quality issues.
- Supplier management: Working with our suppliers to ensure they deliver to our requirements and manage efficiently and correctly any deviations before delivery.
- Non-conformance management: Ensuring correct management of non-quality events during assembly and test phase of the project.
- Design / Manufacturing / Test / Delivery Gate Reviews: Delivery of quality status at each project gate review.
- Risk management: Forecasting and evaluation of project risks together with actions to avoid or minimize their impact.
- Lessons Learnt: Ensuring know-how transfer between projects is maintained and actions closed out
This role will involve some travel to European Airbus D&S sites and international suppliers. As such you must be able to travel accordingly.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following;
- We value adaptability, honesty and integrity, as well as the courage to challenge with empathy, perseverance and respect. We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
- Educated to degree level in an Engineering or Science related subject
- Excellent communication skills
- Analysis skills and logical approach to problem resolution and investigations
The GDP is a two year programme aimed for graduates. We aim to develop, educate and inspire the professionals of tomorrow. It involves a series of training sessions, GDP specific projects alongside your day-to-day work, graduate placements (opportunities in the UK and overseas) and more.
Apart from your personal and professional development, it attracts £27,000 annual salary, £2,000 welcome payment, a generous annual holiday allowance of 25 days (plus bank holidays) as well as flexible working, pension scheme, buddies, mentorship option and other benefits.
Airbus Portsmouth has a thriving community of young professionals organising events throughout the year.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities; additional time for written exercises; auxiliary aids; room layout; dietary requirements etc. If you wish to discuss this further please contact via email email@example.com. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
One application: Make It Possible, Make It Happen, Make It... Count!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!