Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
- Location: Portsmouth
- Start date: Sept 2020
- Number of roles: 3
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.
The Payload System Engineering department within the Telecom Business Division is responsible for providing engineering support to telecom payload projects; to payload R&D activities and to the development of advanced payload products. Main customers include SES, Eutelsat and Inmarsat. In addition to the unique insight of the domain of space missions and telecom payloads, this Graduate role is an opportunity to get involved with the definition of future products within a constantly changing industry.
You will also work in a multi-disciplinary department and in close cooperation with our colleagues in other Airbus sites across Europe, responsible for the overall satellite.
From this role there are excellent opportunities for career progression in technical and managerial roles both within the Telecom business division (RF lead for telecom payloads, advance payload expert, engineering manager, project manager, …) and in other divisions (Assembly Integration and Test, Communications Products, …).
This role is based at the Portsmouth site which is the Airbus Centre of Excellence for Telecom payloads.
Main activities will include:
- Support the design lifecycle of a telecom payload in contributing to the Electrical, EMC or RF system design,
- Perform RF analyses of payload performances as part of an integrated project team.
- Support the Electrical and EMC experts as required, improving your knowledge of each discipline
- Support the mission through the payload project lifecycle, in particular with the preparation and presentation to the customer at project gate reviews.
- Support the equipment level test results review. Support the Assembly Integration and test phases, first at payload level, and then at spacecraft level (environmental tests for instance).
- Work at transverse level with other groups such as the Mechanical Design Office, Purchasing, equipment suppliers and Assembly and Integration Test teams.
- Enrolment on the Airbus company graduate program that includes soft skill development training courses, graduate lead development activities such as the “YPA” and the company graduate project.
The role could later evolve to include support to R&D, proposals and take a role in payload and advanced sub-system modelling.
Attributes in a successful candidate:
- At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Telecommunications, Electrical/ Electronic Engineering, Physics or related subject.
- An interest in working in the space or aerospace industry.
- Good understanding of RF and electrical engineering principles
- Experience in RF Telecommunication’s field shown by undertaking one or more of the following modules (or similar); RF Systems, - Communication and Propagation, Communication Theory, Wireless Communications, Satellite Communications.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications, in particular Excel.
- An understanding of Satellite Communications systems / Satellite Links.
- Undertaking of one or more of the following modules (or similar): Coding Theory, Digital communications, Digital Signal Processing.
- Experience with visual basic and modelling tools such as Matlab , Simulink, SystemVue, ADS, STK
- Any experience involving utilisation of RF instruments, test equipment and test techniques.
- Awareness of EMC principles
Successful candidates will benefit from exposure to:
- Opportunities to contribute in the design of systems deployed into Earth orbit.
- Advanced manufacturing and assembly environments,
- Opportunity to contribute in an precision engineering environment with professional models,
- Develop an understanding of company structures and the engineering lifecycle,
- Build soft skills across time management, presentations, reports and team working.
This role will be based in Portsmouth and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
One application: Make It Possible, Make It Happen, Make It ...Count!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!