Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
- Start date: September 2020
- Location: Portsmouth
- Application closing date: 14th November 2019
Our UK Graduate Programme provides exceptional graduates the opportunity to master managerial and technical skills. Over the two year period it combines rotational placements with focused training and the possibility of European assignments as well as further personal development and the chance to build your professional network.
From day one, you will be assigned to a particular department and will be guided through the various placement opportunities that exist within your function, the wider business and even with customers and suppliers. This, along with training provided works to ensure you are ready and experienced enough to take the next step of your career following the programme's conclusion.The Portsmouth Mechanical Design Office (MDO) supports the Telecom satellites Business Unit to layout the payload including equipment and RF connectivity design for a variety of platform such as the Eurostar3000 and Eurostar Neo platforms. We are now also developing new exciting platforms for use on satellite constellations. Our mission is to layout the payload equipment in 3D, provide stress and thermal justification, and produce the installation drawings and bill of materials to allow a quick and efficient assembly of our satellites. We also create the testing definition and detailed design to support the testing activities. We are engaged in the transformation of our company as a part of the journey to Industry 4.0, supporting the digitalization exercise, as a key contributor in the product digitalization and data continuity.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be involved with all activities covered within the MDO and to experience placements within other areas of the business. Following the successful completion of the graduate programme, the candidate will be looking at continuing their development to become a design or simulation team leader on our very exciting telecom projects.
Task & accountabilities
- Main activities of the role may include;
- Produce conceptual and detail mechanical designs and accommodation for Telecom Payload assembled in Airbus Defence and Space on Portsmouth site
- Justify design through relevant stress and thermal analysis
- Produce manufacturing data and documentation including procurement drawings, assembly drawings and Bill Of Materials
- Familiarise with company standards, procedures, processes and work practices through on and off the job training and development.
- Learn the discipline and importance of collaborative working in a transnational context, with other disciplines.
- Learn the discipline of maintaining Digital Mock Up and design files in a validated (through appropriate checks and validation) and configured state
- Get involved in our digitalisation activities
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate the following;
- Aerospace, Mechanical engineering or related degree
- High levels of motivation and enthusiasm and a desire to succeed
- The ability to work well within a team
- Evidence of use of Catia V6 or other CAD systems, including PDM (3D com or other)
- Evidence of use of FEMAP, NASTRAN or other FEM tools
- The nature of the role requires a candidate who is self-motivated, and unafraid to ask the questions necessary to get up to speed in the fast paced and dynamic environment of the Mechanical Design Office.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.This role will be based in Portsmouth and will receive the full Airbus Defence & Space Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.Applications will be accepted from 16th September 2019 – 10th November 2019.
Please let us know if you need us to make any adjustments. Examples of this may include (but is not exclusive to) accessible facilities additional time for written exercises auxiliary aids room layout dietary requirements etc. Any information disclosed will be treated in the strictest confidence. Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
One application: Make It Possible, Make It Happen, Make It ...Count!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!