Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
The Lightning Direct Effects (LDE) group is a transnational team within the System Engineering Design Office responsible for providing all aspects of aircraft protection against the direct effects of lightning strikes. This includes a significant focus on protection of fuel tanks and the general fuel system.
Department responsibilities include developing and applying innovative lightning protection solutions to support the ramp up of deliveries, keeping the growing fleets in the air and designing future aircraft.
This is done with a strong focus on research & technology, working closely with Airbus Group Innovations, research institutions, industrial partners and the airworthiness regulators. EYDVA are the design authority for compliance to ATA391 (Lightning Direct Effects and Structural Electrostatic discharge) regulations.
The department operates across all Airbus sites, all Airbus aircraft programmes and all aircraft components (wing, fuselage, tail). New graduates will be fully integrated into a transnational way of working and encouraged to work across Airbus sites and functions on a daily basis, which will also involve the opportunity to travel to other sites.
As the graduates main mission will be to provide protection to the fuel system, graduates will also work closely with the fuel systems and structures departments.
We are passionate about developing graduate engineers to prepare our future thus whilst new graduates will be given challenging objectives they will be fully supported in their mission to fully exploit the state of the art knowledge and techniques in aircraft lightning protection and in doing so develop their technical and behavioural competences.
Main activities of the role may include;
- Develop optimised lightning protection solutions for the design & development of aircraft fuel tank & fuel system protection using latest analytical & test techniques
- Provide compliance with certification requirements under ATA391 (lightning direct effects) for delivery to certification authorities EASA and FAA
- Providing strong link between R&T activities to existing Airbus products and future designs to ensure exploitation of state of the art techniques
- Develop harmonised design solutions and policies that have aircraft level benefits across multi-programme and multi-components where possible
- Develop strong relationships across transnational teams working in a collaborative and knowledge sharing manner
- Longer term; developing an ability to provide reactive support to manufacturing (concessions analysis) and in-service queries (including AOGs)
- Have at least a 2:1 in Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical or Software Degree
- A team player
- A passion about Airbus and the aviation industry
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
This role will be based in Filton and will receive the full Airbus Graduate programme benefit package including an annual Salary of £27,000, plus a welcome payment of £2,000.
As a graduate with us, you’ll be a full-time employee and working on real projects and making a difference from day one. That’s why we make sure you’re properly rewarded for the work you do.
- 27,000 & £2,000 joining bonus
- 35 hour weeks
- 33 days annual leave including bank holidays
- Success sharing
- A selection of voluntary benefits such as Employee car leasing scheme, financial advice, employee discounts with nationwide stores, and more!
- A competitive pension
- Tax-effective share plans
- Enhanced family friendly policies
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible work arrangements
- An independent, 24-hour, confidential counselling service
Please note, we love your interest in working for Airbus but we do ask that you make only one application. We encourage you to take time to decide which of our exciting opportunities is right for you and then submit an application that best represents you, your skills and experience in connection with the role you have selected.
One application: Make It Possible, Make It Happen, Make It ... Count!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!