AlphaPlus is a Manchester-based education service business specialising in standards, assessment and certification. We help our clients design, develop, deploy and evaluate qualifications and their underpinning assessments. Our work spans the public and private sectors, schools, colleges, vocational and professional learning and includes work across the UK’s four nations, and international projects.
Although AlphaPlus uses technology extensively in its day-to-day operations, and advises clients on technology, historically it has not sold technology directly to clients. This is changing, as is the need for AlphaPlus to select and integrate commercially available technology solutions, which includes some development work.
AlphaPlus’ senior team have strong technology backgrounds. Although we work in a traditional and risk-averse sector (exams) we are having considerable success in modernisation projects based on implementing effective technology for our clients.
We are looking for a technologist with an entrepreneurial client-focused outlook to help grow our technical capability. The postholder must be a self-starter with a solid technology background. They will support and be line-managed by the director responsible for technology. They will report directly to the board on key strategic technology developments.
Key purpose of the job
- To enhance AlphaPlus’ ability to deliver technology-based projects for internal and external clients.
- To enhance AlphaPlus’ ability to develop (which includes selection, integration and development of) in-house technology platforms in support of business needs.
- To act as in-house software developer supporting technology-based projects and strategic developments.
- To manage a range of projects over the project lifecycle, including supporting the production of bids for upcoming projects.
- To support the Board’s leadership and management of projects, with particular responsibility for the delivery of technology-based projects, deputising for the line-manager as required.
- To contribute to strategic improvements in the business’ internal use of technology
Typical Project Activities
- Scope and designing solutions (with line manager).
- Identifying, evaluating and selecting pre-existing solutions/partial solutions
- Software development to support in-house systems and the fulfilment of projects.
- Integration with e-assessment platforms, such as TAO.
- Liaising with technology organisations as suppliers in a partnership-based supply chain
- Development / integration of reporting engine platform.
- Customisation / integration of software platforms / tools for specific projects.
- Production of user manuals, training materials and company presentations.
- Leading small project teams across the lifetime of projects, ensuring end-to-end product delivery for software development and system enhancement projects.
- Project management and customer management.
- Providing consultancy services to clients.
- Supporting the board on technology strategy
- Working with the directors, to be responsible for delivering a coherent offer of technology services and capacity
- Contributing to strategic planning relating to the company’s technology requirements
- Monitoring and reporting on project performance.
- Maintaining currency of software skills in order to offer best advice and implement most effective solutions
- Assimilating information about the purpose, aims, organisational structure, IT infrastructure and IT architecture of the company in order to identify and provide appropriate software requirements.
- Strong technology skills, including software design and development. Formal training in software development, such as a computer science degree, is desirable but not essential.
- Excellent team working and team leadership skills
- Ability to quickly assimilate information about the purpose, aims, organisational structure, IT infrastructure and architecture of the company in order to identify appropriate software solutions.
- Inquisitive, with excellent analytical capabilities
- Ability to function independently with excellent problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Commerciality: participating actively and willingly in activities to generate new business. Creative and innovative in approaching the winning of new work
- Commitment to delivering excellent internal and external customer service
- Excellent time management
- Good knowledge and understanding of the education sector in the UK and internationally. Experience working in a University or College is a reasonable proxy.
- Professional/technical competencies
- Degree level or higher
- Ability to work across a range of technologies.
- A can-do attitude where technology is concerned – ability to see the “big picture”, conceptualise solutions and select resources to deliver them.
- Demonstrable competence in software development
- Ability to communicate effectively in both technical and non-technical terms
- Ability to balance the roles of project manager and technologist appropriately
- Demonstrable track record of the full implementation lifecycle of projects requiring software development elements
- Substantial experience of delivering the software-related components of projects
- Experience of working in teams in project-based contexts
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!