We are a global services company providing customers with products and experiences that enrich lives every day. American Express has a presence in 130 countries worldwide – we are determined to define the industry today, tomorrow and into the future.
The Global Servicing Network (GSN), and Travel & Lifestyle Services (TLS) are two of our company’s largest divisions, making up over 60% of the American Express business, with employees in 25 countries across the world.
GSN delivers extraordinary customer care to Card Members, Corporate Clients and Merchants, globally, while providing world-class fraud protection and driving revenue growth for the company.
TLS serves American Express Card Members with a full range of travel and lifestyle support, from trip planning and booking, to procuring premium experiences. This can include anything from seats at the chef’s table to planning a wedding ceremony complete with private helicopter tour into the Grand Canyon.
American Express is an international company, with our European Operational Headquarters based in Brighton. The Brighton office is diverse and inclusive, with a wide range of networks, languages and cultures. Working as part of a global organisation gives you the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues in many of our world class servicing centres such as Mexico, Florida, and the Philippines.
Our service is an award-winning competitive differentiator and is at the heart of our company’s vision. Our passion for attracting and retaining amazing talent is what makes us stand out and the reason we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world.
What type of work can you expect to do in Customer Service and Business Strategy at American Express?
Our Customer Service and Business Strategy graduate programme is comprised of four rotations across key disciplines within GSN and TLS; Change Management, Strategy and Optimisation, Customer Engagement and Planning. Each rotation offers you a new and exciting opportunity to work on a tailored project in a critical business area, affording you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in a FTSE 100 company, whilst you immerse yourself in our unique people-focused organisation.
Throughout the two year programme you will be able to tailor your professional development, whilst experiencing new challenges, building a diverse skillset, and gaining insight into how the largest part of American Express works end-to-end. We value our graduates – you bring a fresh perspective to our business; in return for your time, we will commit to supporting your development, and giving you the freedom, tools and encouragement to drive innovation.
Previous projects have included:
- A comprehensive review and roll-out of the outbound customer contact strategy in the European New Accounts department, enabling missing information on incomplete applications to be sourced more efficiently, whilst providing an enhanced customer experience.
- Supporting an international project to prepare the frontline Credit teams for an economic downturn. Responsibilities included: forecasting for employee requirements in response to increased call volumes under a downturn, designing new payment plans for customers in financial difficulties and redesigning the teams’ digital servicing approach.
- End to end review, strategy creation and implementation of an employee development programme, aiming to deliver tailored development sessions for employees who show high potential. The project included working with senior leaders, securing funding, and creating a communications plan to advertise the new programme.
Do you have what it takes to build a career here?
- Talent Attributes
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to work independently, but also be a team player and have a desire to collaborate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – the ability to talk to people across all levels
- Strong analytical skills and an interest in both quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Understanding of continuous process improvement and problem solving methodologies
- Results driven with the potential to manage projects and initiatives to completion
- Leadership potential – you may end up leading a team
- Interest and care for delivering the best customer service
- The ability to think on your feet
- Share our values
- European language capability is a bonus
- Experience of working within a customer service role is a bonus
- The programme is open to final year and postgraduate students from any degree discipline
- A minimum of 320 UCAS points and a predicted 2:1 degree or international equivalent
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!