The Strategic Planning Group (SPG) at American Express is the CEO’s internal management consulting team and leadership development program. SPG has a two-fold mission:
- To be a partner for our business unit clients and for the broader company by analysing and supporting the most critical strategic initiatives; and
- To attract high-performing talent, develop their business and people leadership competencies, and transition them to be successful leaders in the company.
The Strategic Planning Group (SPG) is American Express’s internal consulting division, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), Jeff Campbell. Our clients are top management who engage us to solve critical business challenges and evaluate growth opportunities. Consultants in SPG are exposed to an incredible breadth and depth of project assignments. A role with American Express in SPG offers the unique opportunity to work across all business lines with some of the top strategic minds in business while further developing consulting and leadership skills.
Like management consulting, SPG offers diverse and challenging work. In addition, the job provides a stronger sense of ownership, a better lifestyle and a clear path to management within American Express. SPG serves as a key talent pool for American Express, with consultants “rolling out” to new roles in business units across the globe after approximately two to three years. SPG Leadership provides team members with tailored support to help each individual find the right next role in American Express. Many senior executives began their careers at American Express in SPG. The Group currently consists of approximately 50 consultants across New York and London.
What type of work could you expect to do as an SPG Graduate Analyst at American Express?
- As part of project teams, provide high-level strategic counsel to top management and executives
- Develop frameworks and solutions to tackle key business issues
- Perform analysis and research to develop insights as part of a project team
- Partner with business unit clients to develop and present implementable solutions
Do you have what it takes to build a career here?
- Outstanding academic performance at top-ranked universities, preferably in relevant subjects e.g., sciences, economics, business
- Demonstrated leadership and drive
- Excellent problem solving abilities; intellectual curiosity and quantitative aptitude
- Strong interpersonal skills – ability to collaborate and be a team player
- Strong professional presence; effective communication and presentation skills
- Desire to lead change
- Dedication to clients; professional services mind-set.
- Currently enrolled in a degree or Masters programme or a recent graduate with some work experience
- A minimum of 320 UCAS points and a predicted 2:1 degree or international equivalent
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!