The work you are doing is meaningful and directly impacts the future of the kids in your responsibility, and let me tell you, that’s one of the best feelings in the world.” Kwaku, Maths trainee
Who are we?
Ark Teacher Training is an ‘Outstanding’ teacher training programme offering the perfect mixture of theory and classroom practice to develop you into the best teacher you can be. We believe that every child, regardless of their background, deserves to have access to a great education, which is why we work mainly in areas of low income with a history of academic underachievement.
The majority of trainees, particularly recent graduates, are put on the School Direct (SD) Bursary route. The amount range depending on the subject you wish to teach but for maths this would be up to £26,000.
About the school:
King Solomon Academy in Marylebone is defined by our mission to provide our pupils with a rigorous and transformational education, which prepares them for success at university and beyond. We ensure that every pupil achieves academic success and has the real option of going to university. We have high expectations for all of our pupils, and believe that with great teaching and a lot of love and care, every child here can fulfil their potential. This both warm and strict approach means pupils feel safe and secure in the school but also confident to contribute to the future of the school and their community
How is the programme structured?
You’ll be based in a school of your choice from day one, spending the whole academic year watching your students progress. At the end of your training year, you’ll have achieved the following:
- QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)
- PGCE (postgraduate certificate in education) in your chosen teaching subject
After successfully completing your training year you can progress onto our highly supportive, tailored ECT (early career teacher) programme. We will help you secure an ECT role at your school or at another one in the Ark network and guide you through your first few years of teaching.
What support is available to me during the programme?
99% of trainees feel their wellbeing is well supported by the Ark Teacher Training team.
We are committed to providing high-quality professional learning for our teachers. On our teacher training programme, you will benefit from:
- Your own Ark Teacher Training tutor.
- Continuous support throughout your training year and beyond, including an in-school coach and weekly training sessions.
- Being able to practice teaching strategies before entering the classroom.
- A curriculum based on leading educational research and a unique focus on subject curriculum.
- A supportive network of tutors, other teachers, and trainees past and present.
To be eligible to teach in the UK you must:
- have a grade C or above in Maths and English language GCSE
- hold (or will hold) an undergraduate Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) prior to beginning your Initial Teacher Training
- have a degree or A level in a subject related subject to teach maths
- have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the programme (3 years)
- not currently hold Qualified Teacher Status
Diversity and Inclusion
At Ark Teacher Training, we have a particular responsibility to advocate for diversity and inclusion in teacher training to make a positive difference to the lives of our pupils. We believe that inclusivity and the representation of people, circumstances, identities, cultures and ethnicities from all sections of society make us stronger as individuals and as an organisation.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, with a broad range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We have therefore taken steps to address our own internal bias and consider how our recruitment practices are impacting diversity which you can find more information on our website.