Music Trainee teacher
Location: Ark Alexandra Academy in Hastings
Salary: Up to £26,000 in your 2nd year
Who are we?
Ark Teacher Training is an ‘Outstanding’ teacher training programme offering the perfect mixture of theory and classroom practice to develop you into the best teacher you can be. We believe that every child, regardless of their background, deserves to have access to a great education, which is why we work mainly in areas of low income with a history of academic underachievement.
Based in Hastings, William Parker and Helenswood came together in 2019 to create Ark Alexandra Academy, a new chapter, and a truly exciting time for all. The school also celebrated its 400th anniversary, an amazing milestone that is shared by everyone in the community.
Ark Alexandra believe that a great school is the result of great people. They are entering the next phase of their development and need passionate people on board to support them in achieving the goals and aspirations they have for their pupils. They continue to raise student attainment and have brilliant opportunities for strong career development from trainee, to middle and senior leadership.
How is the programme structured?
You’ll be based in a school of your choice from day one, spending the whole academic year watching your students progress. At the end of your training year, you’ll have achieved the following:
- QTS (Qualified Teacher Status)
- PGCE (postgraduate certificate in education) in your chosen teaching subject
After successfully completing your training year you can progress onto our highly supportive, tailored ECT (early career teacher) programme. We will help you secure an ECT role at your school or at another one in the Ark network and guide you through your first few years of teaching.
What support is available to me during the programme?
99% of trainees feel their wellbeing is well supported by the Ark Teacher Training team.
We are committed to providing high-quality professional learning for our teachers. On our teacher training programme, you will benefit from:
- A two-week summer school so you feel confident before you start in September.
- Your own Ark Teacher Training tutor.
- Continuous support throughout your training year and beyond, including an in-school coach and weekly training sessions.
- Being able to practice teaching strategies before entering the classroom.
- A curriculum based on leading educational research and a unique focus on subject curriculum.
- A supportive network of tutors, other teachers, and trainees past and present.
To be eligible to teach in the UK you must:
- have a grade C or above in Maths and English language GCSE
- hold (or will hold) an undergraduate Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) prior to beginning your Initial Teacher Training
- have a degree or A level in a related subject to teach Music
- have the right to live and work in the UK for the duration of the programme (3 years)
- not currently hold Qualified Teacher Status
Diversity and Inclusion:
At Ark Teacher Training, we have a particular responsibility to advocate for diversity and inclusion in teacher training to make a positive difference to the lives of our pupils. We believe that inclusivity and the representation of people, circumstances, identities, cultures and ethnicities from all sections of society make us stronger as individuals and as an organisation.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, with a broad range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. We have therefore taken steps to address our own internal bias and consider how our recruitment practices are impacting diversity which you can find more information on our website.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate a commitment to safeguarding the welfare of children, and this will be tested at interview. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.