Who are we?
Arm’s Application Engineers ensure success for customers by providing timely, leading-edge knowledge through delivery of creative services.
As a Graduate Software Applications Engineer, within our Partner Enablement team, you could be helping customers to:
- Write and optimize code for the latest Arm architectures
- Build, deploy and debug their code using Arm and open source tools.
- Get the best from their use of Arm proprietary and open source software products (e.g. Mali-GPU driver development kit, Linux kernel contributions)
- Use Arm system architecture and design tool and simulators
As part of your graduate role you will have the opportunity to rotate through different teams, giving you a wide exposure to the Arm products and groups.
What will you be doing?
The role of the Software Applications Engineer is to provide customer support on the Arm architecture, software ecosystem, and use of Arm's development tools. The role requires a mix of broad technical knowledge, analytical skills, and customer awareness.
Primarily, you will need to be able to analyse complex customer-presented engineering problems and provide comprehensive responses to enable the customer to make progress. Such inquiries may be presented by email, web portal, telephone or in face to face meetings
You will have additional responsibility for helping to improve our products, provide additional services that assist our partners in embracing new technology. You will:
- Develop helpful example projects, such as source code explaining how to boot an Arm CPU, write a peripheral driver or create kernal-side debug monitor
- Write application notes and knowledge base articles to help guide customer engineers in advance of the need for them to contact us
- Contribute to upcoming product releases and documentation
- Raise defects and enhancement requests to help raise the bar on quality and consistency across the Arm product portfolio.
These activities will require regular communication with the product engineering and architecture teams as well as the dedicated documentation teams. You will bridge the gap between product development and product usage.
Finally, you will provide in-depth technical training to customers worldwide, facilitating direct discussions with partners about their projects. You will have domestic and international travel opportunities (post the COVID-19 pandemic).
You will be accountable for bridging the gap between Arm's customers and internal engineering teams, providing detailed feedback and customer insights to improve our IP and ensure we are best enabling customer success.
What skills are we looking for?
You will build on your Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or other relevant degree subject.
An interest in the architecture of processors (CPU, potentially GPU), as well as an understanding of the interactions between software and hardware.
Embedded software development and debug, potentially including graphics (OpenGL ES, Vulkan) and specialist middleware APIs (e.g. for machine learning applications).
Strong proficiency in C/C++ and developed skills with other languages.
Assembly language programming, ideally for the Arm CPU architecture.
Understanding of multi-core or multi-processor systems.
Some familiarity with embedded Linux/Android and other low-level software components (firmware / drivers / hypervisors / operating systems) is desirable.
Interest in safety-critical software or security is a bonus.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English.
Ability to work individually and as part of a global team.
Adaptive problem-solving skills with a capability to debug sophisticated issues
Dedicated, hardworking and customer empathetic.
We seek passion and flexibility in putting customers first; you are hardworking with a real desire for enabling others to succeed.
Previous work experience within a software development environment would be an advantage.
At Arm, we are proud to have core beliefs that reflect our open culture and guide our decisions. Our beliefs define how we work together, and how we evaluate you. Here is a preview:
- We, Not I: Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive. Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
- Passion for Progress: Difficult things can take unexpected directions; stick with it. The essence of progress is that it can’t stop; grow with it and lead your own progress.
- Be Your Brilliant Self: Be quirky not egocentric. Make trust our default position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!