Be the one others turn to. Be responsible. Be trusted with the safety of the nation. Become a HR Officer in the British Army, and you’ll be doing something that really matters. Leading a team to look after the Army’s most important asset: its people. Supporting the soldiers who are helping to make the world a safer, better place.
SPS is the Staff and Personnel Support branch of the Adjutant General's Corps. It provides essential HR administration and financial support to every single member of each unit, which could be up to 700 people strong. From military HR, to police, legal services, provost staff and guard service, as well as education and training – this is one of the largest Corps in the British Army.
You’ll be working closely with your unit’s Chain of Command to ensure everybody is ready to undertake their mission. You’ll serve with your unit in the UK and overseas, guiding your staff to get people and paperwork ready, ensuring everything runs smoothly.
What we look for in our Officer Cadets is leadership potential, a sense of purpose and the drive to succeed. With these qualities in place, we can give you the training you need to go far, taking your education, skills and abilities and helping you shape them into something amazing – whether you’re fresh out of school, have a university education, are professionally qualified or already building a career.
Become a HR Officer and you’ll receive:
- A starting salary of around £27,818 which will rise to around £33,436 upon completion of one year's training
- Subsidised accommodation and facilities, increasing your disposable income
- Free medical and dental health cover
- Training affiliated with the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development and accredited by the Defence Awarding Organisation, the Institute of Leadership & Management and the Chartered Management Institute
- Sponsorship to achieve valuable professional qualifications, such as a degree in HR Management or Business
- Opportunities to continually progress your career
- Adventurous Training, and the chance to play your favourite sports or take up a new one
Find where you belong
Your Army career starts at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. You’ll learn the skills you need to become an Officer – from weapons handling to outdoor survival – to what it takes to lead your team in a range of hostile situations, anywhere in the world. Once you’ve commissioned, you’ll take charge of 18 soldiers and become a fully-fledged HR expert. This will see you taking on responsibility for your unit’s training and career management, as well as overseeing their readiness to deploy on operations and exercises.
You’ll take part in Adventurous Training around the world, from skiing in the Alps to white-water rafting in Colorado. All while you’re earning a starting salary of around £32,800 (after training). You’ll also enjoy a fantastic range of benefits that come with Army life, from sports and state-of-the-art training facilities, to earning valuable professional qualifications.
Army Undergraduate Bursaries
Whether you’re about to embark on your degree or you’re already studying, you could benefit from an Army Undergraduate Bursary, from £6,000 - £25,000. Just show us you’ve got what it takes to join us as an Officer when you graduate.