Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference to the world. Arup combines innovative digital solutions and processes with our domain expertise across the built environment.
In Arup Acoustics we are responsible for the beautiful sound in concert halls and for controlling vibration in sensitive laboratory environments. We help reduce the impact of noise from airports, railways, highways and stadiums, while making sure sound systems are heard with clarity in even the busiest transport hubs.
Our international acoustics design team provides services in the design of acoustics, noise and vibration for buildings and transportation. Our venue design team leads the operational planning and technical systems design of venues from music to sports. Our industry leading work in the prediction and assessment of noise from new major infrastructure such as HS2 and Heathrow airport has expanded our expertise in modelling and data analysis through to innovative presentation to the public via auralisation and visualisation.
We support Arup's longstanding commitment to work on the most interesting and innovative projects by using the right modelling, data, technology and automation capabilities to better inform the built environment with our clients.
Are you interested in a career in Acoustics?
We are currently offering industrial placements for students to join our team of bright professionals in our Manchester office for a period of 11-12 months.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student that is enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Acoustics and scientific data analysis to experience what we do and help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients.
Depending on performance, there may be an opportunity to receive a permanent offer of employment upon graduating.
The role will typically include:
- The integration of new data management technologies and software tools into existing engineering processes.
- Improvements in the reliability, efficiency and quality of our engineering data by optimising workflows and automating processes to complement the way Arup works.
- Effective collaboration with engineers, designers, technical specialists and IT team members to successfully deliver project goals.
- Help develop in-house processes for data modelling, management and analysis using the latest database storage and SQL technologies.
- Test, maintain and develop scripts, code and applications to support acoustic modelling and reporting aims.
- Taking part in technical design and progress meetings.
- Discovering, learning and integrating new technologies into our existing engineering workflows to develop our capability and offer cutting edge services to our clients.
- Design and build applications and interfaces utilising web technologies; HTML, CSS, java script as well as programming languages like Python and C++.
- Support the Acoustics team in their day-to-day project work, including helping with acoustic modelling, undertaking calculations of noise transmission and attenuation and helping undertake acoustic measurements.
We encourage our Industrial Trainee Acoustics to demonstrate drive and motivation, a willingness to learn about our sector, and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent service to our clients.
We are looking for the following qualifications, skills and attributes in you:
- You will be working towards a first degree and/or an MSc (or equivalent) in a relevant subject such as computer science, data analytics, physics or engineering degrees that include a high proportion of algorithms, data structures, software development methodologies, object-oriented programming and database systems topics.
- Strong ability to think logically and make recommendations from analysis conclusions.
- Experience problem solving through data insight.
- Highly analytical with strong numeracy skills.
- Database knowledge and ideally SQL proficient.
- An interest or experience in the application of these skills to 3D geometry and data management (GIS, BIM, Revit etc), visualisation and gaming, is also desirable.
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!