At Arup, we are passionate about designing and delivering ground-breaking work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts using our skills to help shape a better world.
Our multidisciplinary teams focus on designing energy infrastructure, starting at a pre-planning stage moving through procurement to delivery and into operation. We seek to integrate technical, commercial, planning and policy expertise to help clients make informed decisions about their energy consumption, carbon management and technology investments.
Our enthusiasm combined with our extensive knowhow/knowledge equip us to take energy strategies from concept to realisation. We stay attuned to the specific goals and constraints of our clients to achieve tangible value. Our main activities include:
- Research and advice at building / city / regional / district scale to inform resilience, energy and sustainability assessments and strategies for cities, institutions and private sector
- Energy master planning including techno-economic analysis, feasibility assessment and design of low carbon distributed energy systems
- Technical advice for investors and developers on low carbon energy investments including assessment of technical and commercial risks, business case development, commercialisation and procurement
- Modelling and detailed design of distributed energy systems such as district heating, power generation (including renewables), storage (both electrical and thermal) and micro-grids
- Power systems (HV and LV distribution level) modelling and design ranging from buildings to city master plan level
- Delivery of clients engineering services from project concept through design, construction and operation
- Strategic research into the future of energy systems, presently including micro-grids, smart grids and hydrogen applications
Are you interested in a career in Energy?
We have opportunities for Summer Placements to join our teams of bright professionals. Your role will be to assist the existing Energy team with an expanding workload and to offer complementary and new skills to growing this area.
Your day to day tasks may include:
- Feasibility studies on technology options including; District heating/cooling, Combined Heat and Power, solar photovoltaic, wind, geothermal, hydrogen, energy storage and biomass
- Assessing carbon reduction benefits of a variety of technology options
- Simulations and data analysis
- Commercial analysis and financial modelling
- Project delivery design advice supporting senior colleagues
- Site visits and surveys
- Organising internal and external events
- Policy and legislation investigation surrounding power generation, especially with regards to renewable technologies
- Supporting the development of proposals for new commissions
- Participating in the on-going group research activities
- Report writing
- Contributing to presentations
We are looking for undergraduates with enthusiasm, curiosity, personal drive, technical knowhow and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the Energy Consulting sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- A Masters degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Power Systems, Environmental Engineering, Building Services, Civil or Chemical Engineering, with prediction of 2:1 or higher (or equivalent)
- A commitment to a low carbon future
- Excellent interpersonal, numerical, written, analytical and research skills
- Knowledge and interest in national and local energy generation, transmission and distribution systems infrastructure and their operations and legislation
- Ability to communicate technical information and issues to a non-technical audience
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!