Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference to the world. Arup Digital combines innovative digital solutions and processes with our domain expertise across the built environment.
Advanced Digital Engineering
Arup's Advanced Digital Engineering group comprises over 300 advanced engineering, digital and project consultants, bringing together a seamless combination of digital and data-related capabilities with Arup's traditional engineering and design strengths. We use this to solve our clients most complex challenges and help them respond effectively to the fast-changing digital world. We combine advanced digital expertise in data, models, analytics, and user centred design, with world-class specialist engineering skills such as advanced dynamics, vibration and wind engineering, as well as digital advisory services, mobility consulting and digital product design and delivery.
We support Arup's longstanding commitment to work on the most interesting and innovative projects by using the right modelling, data, technology and automation capabilities to redefine the built environment with our clients. We provide digital advisory services that focus on working with clients on their digital strategy, design of new services, systems and assets, and helping deliver working solutions along with the development of new analysis tools and other cloud enabled digital services for clients.
Are you interested in a career in Data Science?
We're currently looking for a Summer Placement to join our existing Digital team for 6-8 weeks starting in June or July 2020
The opportunity to experience a fast-paced and diverse working environment. Arup searches for the highest calibre people and supports and encourages the enhancement of your skills as part of making this a valuable and enjoyable summer placement for you.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to work in a team which combines innovative digital solutions and processes with our domain expertise across the built environment. We provide digital advisory services that focus on working with clients on their digital strategy, design of new services, systems and assets, and helping deliver working solutions along with the development of new analysis tools and other cloud enabled digital services for clients.
You will be working with a team of developers, data scientists, user experience designers to create platforms, tools and data visualisations. You will often collaborate with a variety of other practitioners on projects like building engineers, transport consultants, geotechnical engineers, and urban planners. Digital is a growing part of our business, and we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic about shaping the future of design in the built environment.
You should be an innovative problem solver, someone who thinks ‘outside the box' and who is able to communicate ideas and solutions. You should have a positive and forward-thinking approach and enjoy working as part of a friendly and supportive team. Workload will be diverse and the ability to multi-task and manage your workload is important.
Data Analytics, Statistics, Machine Learning & Artificial Intelligence methodologies and the online use of data is a rapid growth area and we want someone who can help to expand this further through innovative thinking, enthusiasm and vision. You should be keen to learn and develop your skills as you gain experience in new areas of work.
You will have a strong academic background. Working towards a first degree and/or an MSc (or equivalent) in computer science, software development or a programming related course is required. You should have proven academic experience of utilising and deploying data solutions.
We're looking for students with the following attributes and skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An understanding of the needs of your clients
- Experience of web application development is desirable
- Knowledge of Python is desirable
- Relational and/or non-relational database experience is desirable
- Be planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Have enthusiasm for a career in software development
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- Have the aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Be flexible to the needs of the business, and changes to project plans
- Be dedicated to the delivery of projects, and the development of the team and business as a whole
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!