Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Our consultants offer a multidisciplinary service aimed at developing policy, optioneering, assessing impacts, creative design and implementation, supporting stakeholder engagement, gaining regulatory approvals, managing risk and controlling costs.
Are you interested in a career in Environmental Consultancy?
Right now, we're looking for summer placements to join our team of bright professionals in London. As our consulting team offers a multidisciplinary service, we are looking for students with diverse skills and interests, with a passion to specialise in one of the following disciplines when you graduate:
- contaminated land
You will gain a thorough understanding and experience of the role of an environmental consultant on live projects, potentially of national significance or across a range of sectors.
This is a varied role, and your day-to-day responsibilities could include the following:
- Assisting in the design and undertaking of surveys and site investigations
- Data analysis of survey results
- Conducting desk studies, including qualitative and quantitative risk assessments
- Preparation of clear and concise reports
- Managing delivery and budgets on small scale projects
- Liaising with clients
- Planning your workload so that you can deliver on time or ahead of target
- You will contribute towards both statutory and non-statutory impact assessments, technical reports, environmental strategies, corporate reporting and prepare documents for submission within the planning system.
We're looking for students to demonstrate drive and motivation, a thorough understanding of our sector, and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent technical service to our clients. With a busy, diverse team, we seek individuals who can work flexibly and respond to the needs of our clients. As such, we are looking for the following general qualifications, skills, and attributes in you:
- Enthusiasm for a career in environmental consulting, underpinned through a knowledge and deep interest in the built and natural environment
- Good planning and organisational skills
- Adaptability and versatility to work across and with many environmental, engineering and design disciplines
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally
- Good reasoning and analytical skills
- Demonstrate initiative and a creative approach to problem solving
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative
- Recognise the importance of client care and your role in contributing towards it
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, with experience of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) software and Photoshop would also be an advantage
- Workplace and/or experience volunteering in the UK or abroad is desirable
In addition, we are looking for the students who are studying towards the following stream-specific qualifications, skills, and attributes:
Land Quality (Contaminated Land) & Waste
Working towards a Bachelor's degree or higher degree in Contaminated Land; Environmental Studies, Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Hydrogeology, or Civil, Environmental, or Chemical Engineering (Prediction of 2.1)
Understanding of contaminated land, pollution, environmental engineering or brownfield development
- Working towards a Bachelor's degree or higher degree in Ecology, Biology, Biological Sciences, Zoology or Geography or Environmental Sciences (Prediction of 2.1)
- Some experience of field surveying (including acquired at university)
- Sound understanding of ecological and evolutionary processes
- An appreciation and understanding of wildlife law
Working towards a Bachelor's degree or higher degree in Environmental Sciences, Geography, Civil & Environmental Engineering or Environmental Studies (Prediction of 2.1)
General understanding of and interest in sustainability, carbon and climate change
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!