Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Arup Fire has a key role to play in upholding this reputation. From residential buildings to railway stations; schools and offices to industrial buildings; fire engineering is an essential part of multidisciplinary design. Projects like The Shard, Copenhagen Arena, Macallan distillery and Birmingham New Street station depend on fire engineering to become reality. Our ‘Total Fire Engineering' approach allows us to work with clients and design teams from start to finish, helping us understand their goals, visions and constraints; and then develop innovative solutions to meet these challenges.
Arup's fire engineers are based in over 30 locations worldwide, with over 100 engineers across 12 sites in the UK. Drawing on our global presence, we share knowledge, information and best practice across Arup Fire, ensuring we deliver efficient, cost-effective results to our clients anywhere in the world.
About the role
We are currently recruiting for Fire Engineering Summer Students to join our teams across the UK. This is an excellent opportunity for students that are enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Fire engineering to join a multi-disciplinary team for 4-8 weeks (dependent upon location) this summer.
As part of your role, you will have various opportunities to assist colleagues in various offices across the region in preparing fire strategies, undertaking numerical analysis, reviewing architectural plans against relevant fire safety design guidance, co-ordinating fire strategies with the engineering design team, and visiting sites to monitor the implementation of fire strategies and learn about the installation and construction of fire safety systems.
We're looking for students with integrity, enthusiasm and a personal drive to learn and challenge the norm. If you can combine these with a willingness to learn about fire engineering and a desire to work in a rewarding and challenging environment, we'd like to hear from you.
We're looking for candidates with the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Currently undertaking a Master's or Bachelor's (preferably a Master's degree with a prediction of a 2:1 or higher (or equivalent)) degree in a relevant subject necessary to obtain engineering chartership, such as: Fire Engineering, Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Building Services Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Construction Management, Building Surveying, Applied Mathematics or other relevant degrees.
- Good A Levels (or equivalent qualifications) in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Sciences (Grade C or higher) are a distinctive advantage.
- Excellent written English, and able to provide evidence/example of own work, if requested
- Strong numerical skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience with Autodesk software such as Revit, Navisworks or AutoCAD
- Experience reviewing drawings of buildings in 2D and 3D
- Experience using sketching tools such as SketchUp
- Experience with VBA or other programming languages
We would be interested to hear of any community engagement/charity/voluntary work undertaken.
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!