At Arup, we deliver ground-breaking designs through our work in infrastructure, buildings, masterplanning and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Arup's innovative approach to environmental consulting enables clients to achieve their sustainable business and corporate responsibility aspirations.
Our consultants offer a multidisciplinary service aimed at developing policy, optioneering, assessing impacts, creative design and implementation, supporting stakeholder engagement, gaining regulatory approvals, managing risk and controlling costs.
Develop your career on world-class projects, such as
- High Speed 2, King's Cross Central
- Oman Botanic Garden project
Are you interested in a career in Ecology?
Right now, we're looking for Graduate Consultants to join our team of bright professionals. As our consulting team offers a multidisciplinary service, we are looking for Graduates with diverse skills and interests.
From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where you will be supported and mentored in your chosen career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification (such as chartership) during the early years of your career with us.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have good level of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
You will gain a thorough understanding and experience of the role of an environmental consultant whilst gaining the breadth of experience needed to achieve your professional qualification.
This is a varied role, and your day-to-day responsibilities could include the following:
- Conducting desk studies, including sourcing and evaluating ecological records
- Assisting in the design and undertaking of surveys and site investigations
- Analysis of survey data and results
- Preparation of clear and concise reports
- Managing delivery and budgets on small-scale projects
- Contributions towards both statutory and non-statutory impact assessments, technical reports, environmental strategies, corporate reporting and prepare documents for submission within the planning system
- Preparation of bids and tenders
- Planning your workload so that you can deliver on time or ahead of target
- Inputting to the team's research projects
- Assisting the broader activities of the ecology and environment teams, including the co-ordination of social and other team-focused events
We encourage our Graduate Consultants to demonstrate drive and motivation, a thorough understanding of our sector, and a desire to effectively deliver an excellent technical service to our clients. With a busy, diverse team, we seek individuals who can work flexibly and respond to the needs of our clients. As such, we are looking for the following qualifications, skills, and attributes in you:
- Bachelor's degree or higher degree in Ecology, Biology, Biological Sciences, Zoology, Geography or Environmental Sciences (Minimum 2.1)
- Some experience of field surveying (including acquired at university)
- Sound understanding of ecological and evolutionary processes
- An appreciation and understanding of wildlife law
- Active member of an ecological club or organisation, such as BTO, BTCV, RSBP, local wildlife trust or bat group, or relevant university societies
- Use of bat analysis software packages (desirable)
- Skills in botanical identification (desirable)
- Experience in volunteering in the UK or abroad (desirable)
There are infinite possibilities when you join Arup. You'll receive all the opportunities that come with a challenging, fulfilling career, including:
- A competitive salary and welcome bonus
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and a generous pension
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- The opportunity to work on projects across the UK and potentially internationally
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- The support you need to develop your career through professional accreditation and training
The deadline for applications is November 2020 and assessment centres will commence in December 2019. Our week-long Graduate Welcome Event will take place in September 2021. Whilst on occasion we may be flexible with our start dates, we would ask that the successful candidates join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore, you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!