At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
From residential buildings to railway stations; schools and offices to industrial buildings; fire engineering is an essential part of multidisciplinary design. Projects like The Shard, Copenhagen Arena, Macallan distillery and Birmingham New Street station depend on fire engineering to become reality. Our ‘Total Fire Engineering' approach allows us to work with clients and design teams from start to finish, helping us understand their goals, visions and constraints; and then develop innovative solutions to meet these challenges.
However, we don't achieve our reputation through good design and high standards alone. To stay at the cutting edge of fire safety, we utilise our strong links with academia and Arup's proud record of research and development to build on our understanding of fire dynamics, human behaviour and structural response. By striving for an ever-greater understanding of fire, we continue to push the boundary of what fire engineering can do.
If you are interested in finding out more about the work we do and the projects we work on, click here to visit Arup Fire webpage.
Are you interested in a career in Fire?
We're looking for graduates to join our team of talented fire engineers across our UK offices.
Your role will encompass all aspects of fire safety engineering. This will range from preparing fire strategies in co-ordination with the engineering design team to the inspection and assessment of fire safety management and protection measures in existing buildings/facilities.
As part of this, you will have the opportunity to liaise with external designers and other construction and building professionals on a wide range of projects; experience and develop your ability to use fire-specific design software; conduct research in a variety of skills groups; and have the opportunity to visit sites to monitor the implementation of fire strategies and learn about the installation and construction of fire safety systems.
We're looking for graduate engineers with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow.
We're looking for candidates with the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
Master's or Bachelor's degree with a prediction of a 2:1 or above in a relevant subject necessary to obtain engineering chartership, such as: Fire Engineering, Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Architectural Engineering, Building Services Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Construction Management, Building Surveying, Applied Mathematics
- We will consider Architectural degrees with relevant fire safety modules. However, the focus of the role will be in the engineering discipline as opposed to pure design
- Experience with Autodesk software such as Revit, Navisworks or AutoCAD
- Ability to provide evidence/example of own work, if requested
- Understanding of different perspectives of different disciplines / stakeholders
- Strong numerical skills
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Willingness to become professionally qualified as a chartered Fire Engineer
- Planned and organised approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work effectively both individually and as part of a team
- Additional qualifications such as a PhD in fire safety related topics
- Experience in reviewing drawings of buildings in 2D and 3D
- Exposure to using sketching tools such as SketchUp
- Knowledge of VBA or other programming languages
We would be interested to hear of any community engagement/charity/voluntary work undertaken.
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Opportunities to work abroad
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates, we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are able to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!