At Arup, we are passionate about designing and delivering ground-breaking work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we are a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts using our skills to help shape a better world.
Resilience, Energy and Climate Change is a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, policy experts and environmental scientists who focus on the challenges and opportunities of resilience energy and climate change.
The diverse nature of the work we do means that you will be working for a variety of clients, on projects across a wide range of markets, including utilities and infrastructure providers, local governments, philanthropic organisations focused on low carbon and climate resilient development; international financial institutions, banks and other investors; and developers, among others.
Our work is informed by technical, economic, policy, social and governance perspectives.
About the role
We have an opportunity for a Graduate Risk and Resilience Consultant to join our team of bright professionals in Bristol. Arup has an unrivalled community of multidisciplinary experts, where you will be supported and mentored in your career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification. Your day to day tasks may include:
- Gathering, processing, analysing and interpreting data from a wide variety of sources to advise our clients
- Working across specialisms to gather expertise in solving resilience challenges
- Developing business continuity, risk management and resilience strategies / plans
- Conducting comprehensive risk assessments
- Horizon scanning
- Scenario planning
- Arranging and participating in client and stakeholder workshops
- Performing resilience gap analyses for cities and organisations
- Assessing resilience benefits of a variety of strategic options
- Contributing to project delivery design advice supporting senior colleagues
- Producing well written reports in clear English
- Preparing high quality diagrams and presentations
- Supporting the development of proposals for new commissions
We are looking for graduates with enthusiasm, curiosity, personal drive, technical knowhow and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) the resilience, energy and climate change consulting sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We are looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Batchelors or Masters degree in Risk Management, Resilience, Business Continuity, Climate Risk or Disaster Risk Management with a prediction of 2:1 or above
- Commitment to a resilient and low carbon future
- Self-starter approach
- Interest in applying your skills across a broad range of tasks and projects, working in collaboration with many different specialists
- Ability to communicate technical information and issues to non-technical audiences – with particular reference to report writing and oral presentation
- Good Excel skills
- Experience in data analysis and system mapping, GIS is desirable
- Collaborative approach and team playing skills
- An interest in new technologies, continual learning and applying research
Experience of, or interest in, some of the following would be desirable
- Business psychology
- Climate impacts and resilience
- Circular economy
- Energy systems
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Opportunities to work abroad
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates, we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore, you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!