At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Arup is at the forefront of complex underground spaces – from subway systems that take cars off the street to underground strategies for moving people, freight and the vital power and water utilities needed to keep modern and developing societies functioning. Based on a strong core team of tunnel design engineers, we draw on the capabilities of a wide array of allied disciplines embracing all that is best in truly multidisciplinary design.
Our tunnel projects extend from inception to detailed design, operation to inspection and beyond. This total design approach, using committed engineers working closely together, has produced exciting and innovative answers to some of the world's largest and most complex tunnel projects.
We implement projects of real value to our clients, in our London office alone we have recently completed the detailed design of all bored tunnels for the Crossrail project, are carrying out independent technical checking contracts for all three Thames Tideway contracts and have been selected as the contractor's designer for High Speed 2 Southern Tunnels. Our work is exemplified by recent NCE Tunnelling awards, including Tunnel Project of the Year 2015 & Tunnel Design Firm of the Year 2012.
As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
Are you interested in a career in Tunnelling?
Right now, we're looking for graduates to join our team of bright professionals in our London Office. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills.
The person is expected to have a good understanding of numerical modelling software. Experience of design projects would be beneficial.
You will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of our design teams, you will have the opportunity to work alongside experts.
We are looking for graduates with technical ability, curiosity and personal drive. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of the Tunnelling sector and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we would like to hear from you.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Civil Engineering, Tunnelling or Mining Master's degree with prediction or attainment of 2:1 or higher
- Post graduate degree (MSc or equivalent) in soil mechanics, rock mechanics or tunnelling (desirable)
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Office and demonstrate an ability to learn new software within a working environment that utilises 3D design and digital automation
- Some experience with coding languages
- Enthusiasm for a career in Tunnelling underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Analytical thought process
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Opportunities to work abroad
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Does this role sound of interest to you? Please find further information below:
Assessment centres will take place from December 2019, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Our Graduate Welcome Week will take place in September 2020. Although we can be flexible on start dates, we would hope that the successful candidate will join their peers for this event.
Please note that we are unable to offer Tier 2 visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore, you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!