Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists. Founded in 1946, Arup first established its reputation as a world leader with the structural design of the Sydney Opera House and has since grown into a truly international multidisciplinary organisation, with 11,000 staff in 91 offices across 39 countries.
Our resilience, security and risk practice has consistently been at the forefront of the field since it was formed in the mid-1990s. The practice brings together threat specialists, physical and electronic security engineers, operational security specialists and blast engineers in a unique multi-disciplinary environment, helping our clients manage malicious risk, natural hazards and operational reliability in each aspect of their businesses and operations.
Our world-leading physical security engineering team has developed an enviable reputation for innovative, risk-based design to successfully develop the technical solutions of some of the world's most complex buildings and structures including tall buildings, transport infrastructure, long-span bridges and stadia. Some of our recent projects include the Olympic Park venues for London 2012, Forth Replacement Crossing, Beijing and Dublin International Airports and a range of speculative offices in the City of London.
Are you interested in a career in Security Engineering?
In your Summer Placement you'll learn the skills associated with designing, specifying and installing physical security measures, across a range of projects. You will work in coordination with multi-disciplinary design teams of architects, engineers, cost consultants and project managers to integrate our design solutions into the building design.
Working within and outside mandatory codes of practice in a risk-based framework, you will need to understand the strategy behind the design basis then prepare designs to meet these requirements. At the outset of a project, you will part of the team responsible for Security Needs Assessment and Threat Vulnerability and Risk Assessments, supported by our threat specialists, which will assist our clients to develop their operational requirements which will inform the physical and operational design requirements.
You will assist with the production of information working in a BIM environment using Revit and other bespoke tools.
This role is for students studying a relevant degree who are looking to work with us for 6-8 weeks starting in June or July 2020
We're looking for people with a passion for design, curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow. If you can combine these skills with an understanding of (or willingness to learn about) security consulting and a desire to deliver excellent services for clients, we'd like to hear from you. We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- A Levels (or equivalent) (at B or above) including maths and physics.
- A Degree in electrical, electronic, IT & communications systems engineering, on track to achieve a 2:1/60% or higher.
- An understanding of your own limitations and what is required to develop your skills to further your career.
- An understanding of the design of electrical systems in buildings.
- An understanding of risk assessment methodologies
- Good English written, verbal and sketch communication skills.
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight of the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!