At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking iconic projects through our work across all aspects of the built environment. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Our people are at the heart of our business and we pride ourselves in embracing the Arup values when dealing with both our colleagues and our clients.
Arup provides theatre and venue consultancy to arts, culture and entertainment clients around the built environment – for experiences, places, buildings and districts. Projects range from: school or community arts facilities, important in our local areas; to new-build and renovated international class theatres, studios and concert halls: to master-planning entire cultural districts. We guide projects from early strategic planning, through design, construction, commissioning and artistic operations to help our clients thrive in a changing world. We work closely with the community, public authorities, private organisations, operators, architects, engineers and theatre staff.
Are you interested in a career Venue Design?
We're currently looking for Summer Placement students to join our team in Winchester or London for 6-12 weeks starting in June or July 2020. You'll work within Arup's theatre / venue consulting team to provide high quality design information and support projects through construction, commissioning and early operation.
We are a multi-disciplinary team with a variety of specialisms and a combined passion for the performing arts. Depending on your specific skills and interests, you may be involved in:
- Strategic planning and master planning studies
- Performing arts centre design, auditorium planning and operational design
- Stage machinery and automation control systems
- Production lighting and lighting control systems
- Audiovisual systems, including production sound, video, communications and projection
- Digital performance systems
Your typical day to day responsibilities could include:
- Conducting research and benchmarking
- Undertaking calculations, drawings and modelling of venues and technical systems
- Assisting with the preparation of presentations and reports, including graphic representation
- Attending site inspection visits and assisting with commissioning
- Developing design tools and processes to support on-going project work
- Participating in design reviews
We are looking for motivated students with a passion for arts, culture and performance. You should have curiosity, personal drive, and innovative thinking and be interested in working within a multi-disciplinary team in an energetic and fast-paced environment.
We're looking for the following qualifications and skills:
- Currently studying towards a degree in a relevant subject eg. Engineering, Sciences, Humanities, Architecture, Technical Theatre
- Demonstrable interest in, and enthusiasm for, working in the performing arts sector
- Creative and innovative thinking with a keen eye for detail
- Good time management and ability to work concurrently on multiple projects
One or more of the following skills would be an advantage:
- Proficiency in using Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, In Design, Photoshop), and the ability to communicate ideas in a creative and visually engaging way
- Proficiency in 2D or 3D drawing packages (eg. AutoCAD, Rhino, Revit)
- Proficiency in parametric modelling packages (eg. Grasshopper, Dynamo)
- Experience of developing content for virtual reality, mixed reality and/or gaming platforms
- Proficiency in scripting (eg. Python, C Sharp, C++), UI design and/or database management
There are infinite possibilities with Arup. You'll receive an insight to the opportunities that a challenging, fulfilling career provides, and:
- A competitive salary
- An interesting and varied workload where you'll make a tangible difference to the world
- A collaborative, intelligent and friendly team in an excellent working environment
- A challenging workload that will stretch your mind and make the most of your skills
- The support you need to develop your skills
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!