Shaping a faster, safer, smarter world
On our Placement Scheme, join a well-respected team that has a strong reputation in the engineering industry. You'll be part of something big, enjoying all-level support from line managers to senior leaders. We also want you to maintain a healthy work-life balance. So, during our recruitment process, tell us what matters to you. Find out how we support wellbeing in and out of the office – including different ways to be flexible around work. Let's also talk about Diversity & Inclusion, including our recent pledges for Women's Equality, how we're Disability Confident and an Inclusive Employer.
With Atkins, you'll be in great company.
Join us as a Systems Engineering placement student and enjoy exposure to a wide variety of industries, clients and projects. As one of the team, you'll be working on real projects, getting involved with designing, integrating, and managing complex systems over their lifecycles. Your work could include developing defence equipment, airport IT Systems, railway stations, university campuses, nuclear power stations or offshore wind farms. And while you're shaping a safer, happier, more sustainable world, we’ll support you in your development.
Where you could work
Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology (ADS&T):
Industrial year locations: Aldershot, Bristol
Degree requirements: On track to achieve a minimum of a 2.1 Bachelor’s degree in Aeronautical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Control & Systems Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, Engineering Mathematics, Mechatronics & Robotics, General Engineering.
Our Systems Engineering team forms part of the cutting-edge Advanced Engineering Delivery and Consultancy Practice (within ADS&T), offering a range of independent advice across both industrial and defence focused domains to a wide breadth of clients.
As a Systems Engineer within ADS&T you will work with teams across mission critical industries, contributing to the security and resilience of the nation, and exploiting advanced technologies to help clients to meet, and embrace these exciting times. Domain areas include:
- UK Defence Equipment and Infrastructure Programmes;
- Cyber Security;
- Digital Transformation Programmes;
You'll develop Systems Engineering Architectures within Model-based Systems Engineering software tools, and optimising the effectiveness of solutions.
Systems Engineering projects will see you working confidently and communicating the correct complex requirements to stakeholders and clients such as UK Government Departments & Agencies, Airbus, BAE Systems, Cobham, Babcock, and other major UK and international companies.
As a Systems Engineer, you’ll have the passion to problem solve, use holistic thinking and develop innovative solutions to make a difference that benefits the world around you. You’ll constantly be challenged and thinking of new ways of working to adapt to our clients’ needs and opportunities.
Technology today is evolving at an ever-increasing rate, but that is nothing compared to the pace of its adoption and impact on society. At the heart of Systems Engineering is a passion to problem solve, use holistic thinking and develop innovative solutions to make a difference that benefits the world around you. Technology today is evolving at an ever-increasing rate, but that is nothing compared to the pace of its adoption and impact on society. We believe that understanding the complex systems, and emergent behaviour that results from the interaction of technology and people, is vital to solving tomorrow’s problems.
You will be involved with:
- Making a difference that benefits the world around you
- Working with people in multi-disciplinary teams to identify problems and solutions
- Using big-picture and holistic thinking to identify interactions between people, technology and the world
- Creative thinking and finding innovative ways to visualise complex ideas; and explaining and communicating ideas through storytelling
The role will see you learn and use techniques such as:
- Requirements & Acceptance: Maturing captured needs into robust requirements and developing ways in which they can be successfully validated and tested;
- Model Based Systems Engineering: Developing architectures, models and simulations to support system requirements, design, analysis, verification and validation activities;
- System of Systems Engineering: Large-scale interdisciplinary problems with multiple, heterogeneous, distributed systems;
- Systems Thinking: Understanding how systems fit into the larger context, how they behave and how they manage themselves;
- Project Management: The planning, development and implementation of solutions to complex problems in balance with performance, cost, time and risk;
- Communication: Explaining complex concepts to stakeholders and non-technical team members
What you can bring
- An understanding of the consultancy environment
- Enthusiasm to drive your own career development and a motivation to learn
- Be curious in your thinking and apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
- Drive and determination to achieve professional accreditation
- An interest and ability to adapt to the changing world, new technology and being open to flexible and agile ways of working
- A desire to develop relationship building skills with clients and internal stakeholders
- Confidence to work on your own initiative as well as being part of a multidisciplinary team
Meeting your needs
We've created a rewards package to fit around your study, career and personal needs. Enjoy benefits such as flexible holidays, tailored career development and a strong support network. Each year, our top performing placement students (who’ve done at least 8 weeks on placement with us) have the opportunity to be nominated onto our Graduate Development Programme.
How do I apply?
Please click "Apply Now" below to register your details and start your application journey. To find out more and for advice on how to play to your strengths, visit us on Connectr.
We want you to perform at your best at each stage of our recruitment process and can make adjustments to ensure this. So, whether you consider yourself to have a disability or not, or would simply like to know how we can support you better, please contact us.
Our deadline for applications is Friday 11th December 2020. Remember, our programmes are incredibly popular, and some roles may close early. So, avoid disappointment by getting your application in as soon as possible.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years' design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll join a team of people who ask questions, who dare to see things differently and want to build a better world.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!