As a graduate transport planner on our prestigious 3-year programme you will help to support and deliver the technical aspects of a variety of multidisciplinary designs across a range of challenging and exciting projects in the UK and internationally. We operate across a range of markets including Cities & Development, Energy, Environment & Geoscience, Transportation and Water.
As transport infrastructure experience’s unprecedented investment, join us in transport planning and help us to shape the future of transport. You’ll provide advisory, planning, design and consultancy services to our clients, who include Local Authorities, Department for Transport, Highways England and private sector developers. Your insight, smart thinking and strategic advice will enable them to make the right decisions, develop and invest in the best solutions and realise their development goals.
Does the chance to work on high profile projects such as the innovative design of the diagonal crossing at Oxford Circus and producing Local Traffic Management Plans for HS2 excite you? If so we’d love to see your application!
Brilliant minds. World-changing ideas. We’re one of the world’s most prestigious consultancies. With the Atkins Graduate Development Programme, you’re in great company.
Where could I work?
As a recent graduate you could find yourself in one of the following locations;
Locations: Belfast, Birmingham, Cambridge, Cardiff, Croydon, Epsom, Leeds, London, Manchester
Degree requirements: 2.1 bachelors or 2.2 Master’s degree across a wide variety of degree disciplines such as:
- Engineering – Civil, Mechanical, Electrical/Electronic, Telecommunications, Systems Engineering
- Planning – Transport Planning
- Humanities – English, Politics, and Social Sciences
- Sciences, Maths and others – Physics, Computer Science, Geography, Maths, I.T, Environmental Science, Economics and GIS
We’re not looking for transport experience. We’re more interested in your innovative thinking and ability to bring clarity to complex problems, see things from different stakeholder perspectives and communicate your ideas and solutions in an effective way. The transport planning world is evolving rapidly into exciting new areas of technology, it has never been a better time to join our team to deliver projects which make their mark on the environment in which we live.
• Supporting transport planning projects from forecasting and appraisal, to gathering and analysing data for local modelling studies.
• Developing and applying an understanding of national, regional and local transport policies, statutory and regulatory requirements, guidance and best practice
• Collecting retrieving, analysing and using data and information on travel patterns and behaviour
• Assessing the different costs and benefits of transport schemes and programmes
• Analysing, interpreting and presenting data using GIS, Adobe products, simulation software, VSD etc… and spreadsheets
• Preparing various written deliverables, including client technical reports, materials for stakeholder engagement
• Undertaking research to understand the context for proposed schemes and their likely impacts
• Supporting consultation with the public and engagement with stakeholders
• Contributing to the application of the principles of transport systems/scheme design
• Developing and apply the principles and techniques of changing travel behaviour, including travel planning, travel marketing, walking and cycling initiatives and journey planning
• Opportunities to conduct site visits and different Atkins offices.
Our Graduate Transport Planners work across a variety of teams with expertise in the following areas:
Economics and Business Case:
Working with local authorities, the DfT, Highways England and more, we analyse all kinds of schemes from new highways and railways to bus rapid transit and Crossrail 2. We advise on everything from project costs and benefits to the best options and new ways to unlock investment.
Strategic Transport & Strategy:
Looking at everything from policies, infrastructure, public transport services and sustainable travel programmes to funding, governance and research, our clients will trust you to provide them with the best strategic advice.
In Transport Modelling, we bring data and new ideas together. You’ll model traffic and people to understand movement and provide our customers with the very best solutions. And you’ll help us transform the future of transport by using the latest intelligent mobility and mobile phone data to create innovative new models.
Cities, and Development Planning:
Collaborating with specialists from across our business as part of multidisciplinary teams, you’ll work on flagship regeneration, site expansion and transport planning development projects. Making the most of your transport planning and development skills, you’ll create streetscapes, secure planning approval for developers and deliver sustainable and accessible developments.
Our rail operations team provides a wide range of rail planning and operations services. These include capacity and journey time modelling, network capability assessments, performance advice as well as timetabling and basic vehicle diagramming.
What are we looking for?
- Passion and understanding for working in a consultancy environment, with the ability to work with clients and internal stakeholders
- Drive and determination to achieve professional accreditation
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills, with the confidence to work on your own initiative or as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
- An interest in developing digital and technology-based solutions
- A flexible approach to travel as our projects and training may take you to a variety of locations in the UK and possibly abroad
How do I apply?
Please click the apply button now to start your application journey! As an equal opportunity employer we value applications from candidates of all backgrounds, cultures and abilities. For further details on our recruitment process, please refer to our website.
We want you to perform at your best at each stage of our recruitment process and can make adjustments to ensure this. So, whether you consider yourself to have a disability or not, or would simply like to know how we can support you better, please contact us confidentially on 0121 483 5089
Our deadline for applications is Monday 6th January 2020. Some of our programmes are incredibly popular, to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!