Location - Milan, Italy or remote. We offer substantial support for relocation, including finding an apartment in Milan and paying the rent for 12 weeks. You’re also welcome to work remotely, or part on-site, part-remote.
With tens of millions of active users and hundreds of thousands of daily downloads, we’re among Europe’s leading app developers. Our sights are set on becoming the world #1. At the very core of this thrillingly ambitious mission is our team of bright, innovative, and collaborative software engineers. The team is committed to building next-generation tools to make us the most efficient and effective workforce in the industry. Now, we’re looking for a talented, dedicated, and passionate software engineer to play a leading role in bringing our tools and infrastructure to the next level.
A few examples of your responsibilities:
- Take an active role in identifying the tooling and infrastructure needs of the company, and participate in defining and executing the plan to fulfill them.
- Help define the software architecture of new tools or that of new features for existing tools, and then develop them. The work spans broadly from the most infrastructure- or backend-oriented to the development of complex frontends.
- Constantly improve the quality of our tools and infrastructure by fixing bugs and refactoring the code base where necessary.
- Expand our set of libraries as needed to make yourself and other engineers more efficient and effective.
- Stay informed on new, relevant technologies and test the promising ones to make sure we don’t miss out on game-changing opportunities to boost our productivity and the enjoyment of our work.
What We Offer
- Huge impact. Your tools and infrastructure will be powering our entire organization as we serve tens of millions of users and pursue market domination. Is that the kind of responsibility that gets you out of bed excited before the alarm clock even rings?
- Talented, knowledgeable colleagues. You’ll get the chance to learn from (and teach) some of the brightest and most skilled people you’ll ever meet. Your talent is going to blossom here.
- Cool tech stack. We strive to use the best, most modern tools and technologies, and when they fall short of our expectations we invent our own. It’s a geek’s paradise.
- Own products. We don’t work for clients—we only develop our own apps. Freed from client-provider politics, we can move fast and be daring.
- Continuous education. As relentless seekers of knowledge, we pay for your Italian/English language lessons and offer an unlimited book budget—but that's not where it ends. If you make a good case for some extra learning, we're delighted to foot the tab.
- Remote working. Spend as much or as little time in our Milan office as you choose (even no time at all, if you’d prefer). Many Spooners like to change up their environment and get out of the city whenever the mood strikes. Every day, you’ve got the freedom to decide where today’s office is.
- Flexible schedule. Our regular hours are 9-6 GMT+1, but this isn’t a “clock in, clock out” company. Morning person? Start work while the world’s still sleeping. Night owl? Ramp things up while others are winding down. You’re fully trusted to create the right conditions for your own personal peak productivity. We only ask that you’re available to your teammates a good chunk of the day. That’s why it’s generally best to be based somewhere with a similar time zone—between GMT-2 and GMT+3.
- Unlimited vacations. Take all the time you need to recharge your batteries—no permission process or vacation allowance here. Because a rested, relaxed, and refreshed Spooner is a happy and effective Spooner.
- Top-of-the-market salary and stock options. Our total compensation is very competitive and can grow rapidly and include stock options, depending on your performance.
- Lots. Of. Fun. Our incredible People Operations team organizes awesome events, such as team games, yoga classes, parties, and regular company-wide retreats. Recent destinations include Bali, Argentina, and Tanzania.
- Top-notch HQ. Natural light, silent rooms, state-of-the-art hardware, fun-filled common spaces... the list never ends! You’ll certainly be in the right environment to do your best work. And, when it’s time to switch off, you can do so in style and comfort.
- Relocation package. To ease your move to Milan (if you decide to relocate), the first three months of rent are on us. Visa support is provided for those who need it.
What We Look For
- Passion for the topic. You have a long-standing, proven passion for writing software. It’s a big plus if you have a demonstrable interest in developing tools, complex frontends, or infrastructures.
- Reasoning and depth of learning. You’re structured and creative enough to solve most challenging problems independently, given the necessary knowledge. You learn new concepts and skills rapidly, and love to nerd out and go in-depth.
- Drive. You’re energetic, hard-working, and persevere through adversity until the job is done—and done impeccably. You’re massively into getting results, and always aim for excellence in what you do.
- Pragmatism. Far from being too academic or obsessive in your perfectionism, you understand that, when getting things done in a competitive world, speed is often as important as quality.
- Curiosity and initiative. You love exploring, and you’re entrepreneurial in hunting down new opportunities and testing new ideas. You seek—you don’t just wait to be told what to do.
- Attention to detail. You take all the care in the world to develop quality user experiences for your colleagues, go the extra mile to learn what they need, and pore over the details that make the difference.
- Diligence, organization. You can be entrusted with responsibilities big and small.
- Humility. You’re down to earth, eager to listen to feedback and constructive criticism, and ready to get your hands dirty with whatever the team needs to succeed.
- Proficiency in English. You read and write proficiently, and speak at a conversational level in English.
The Recruiting Process
If you successfully pass through our screening process, we’ll invite you to take on a few tests that assess how you approach and solve unfamiliar problems. These tests don’t require any prior knowledge, and they should take a few hours to complete. If you’re successful there, we’ll invite you to some interviews—normally two or three—to get to know each other and figure out if it’s a good fit for both parties. The interviews are held remotely, and include some behavioral and problem-solving questions. To limit arbitrariness and human bias, all Bending Spoons hiring decisions are made by a hiring committee.
Bending Spoons is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, disability. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
??Spooners come from all over the world and English is our working language. We welcome applications in English or Italian—whichever suits you best!
Milan, Italy or remote