This role is a combined role bring together the skills of Quality, Production and Manufacturing Engineering (QPM). The role can be either Product facing or Process facing.
QPM Engineers play an essential role for IPT’s (Integrated Project Teams) within Electronic Systems. The role is creative allowing Engineers to design, implement, monitor and maintain manufacturing systems and processes, whilst ensuring product quality meets the customer requirements.
At the beginning of a products life cycle, QPM Engineers play a vital role in the design for manufacture process working alongside Design Engineers to achieve the most efficient and cost effective design that can be manufactured to the highest quality possible. Tasks include reviewing the design, materials and build processes to be used whilst considering Design for Life requirements and ensuring robust design verification and validation activities are scheduled and completed successfully.
During the production phase of a products life cycle, QPM Engineers work in conjunction with the shop floor to resolve issues during manufacture, and to improve manufacturing processes, for example designing a new tool or refining a build process. They also review non-conformances to determine root cause and implement robust Corrective Actions using tools such as FRACAS (Fault Reporting, Analysis and Corrective Action Systems) to help improve manufacturing processes.
The QPM Engineers develop and maintain the build instructions for use by the shop floor technicians.
What you will be doing… (Role Duties and Responsibilities)
- Supporting and solving problems raised by teams using a variety of improvement tools and techniques.
- Application of Design for Manufacture
- Investigating new material properties and challenging existing build processes.
- Design of manufacturing cells using Lean Manufacturing techniques to reduce process lead times.
- Process mapping
- Kanban, Point Of Use materials (POU)
- Design of work stations to improve operator efficiency by optimising their working environment.
- Visual management
- Working with the new state of the art Manufacturing Execution System (MES) develop and maintain build instruction documentation for use by shop floor technicians.
- Workplace organisation and safety improvements through 6S training and implementation.
- Developing Manufacturing Instruction to improve shop floor processes.
- Quality Planning
- Non-conformance analysis (includes identification of root cause and implementation of Corrective actions)
- Product/Process verification/validation
- Working with Customers & Suppliers to enhance Quality
Entry Requirements and what we are looking for
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree. Degrees we consider are Mechanical or Electronic Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering. We are looking for people that are interested in manufacturing and studying manufacturing subjects as part of their degree such as design for manufacture (or New Product Introduction), manufacturing engineering, manufacturing systems and process.
Overview of Business Unit
The Electronic Systems sector spans the commercial and defence electronics markets with a broad portfolio of mission-critical electronic systems, including flight and engine controls; electronic warfare and night vision systems; surveillance and reconnaissance sensors; secure networked communications equipment; geospatial imagery intelligence products and systems; mission management; and power-and energy-management systems.
Headquartered in Nashua, New Hampshire, ES employs approximately 13,000 people globally, with engineering and manufacturing functions around the world, primarily in the United States and United Kingdom.
From digital helmet-mounted displays to cutting-edge flight controls, our employees in Rochester, UK, design, develop and produce some of the world’s most advanced avionics equipment spanning both the commercial and defence markets. We also provide world-leading aftermarket support and in-service repair for aircraft fleets around the globe, and delivers innovative propulsion and power management systems to transit markets across the United Kingdom and Europe.
If you have the imagination and determination to be involved in industry-changing innovations every day, then you’ll be a perfect fit for our Electronic Systems business.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!