Would you like to influence the manufacture and build of complex submarine platforms? We currently have a number of opportunities for Manufacturing Engineers and Senior Manufacturing Engineers at our site in Barrow-in-Furness.
As a Manufacturing Engineer, you will be part of a growing team of Manufacturing Engineers, working across submarine build programmes, reporting to the Principal Manufacturing Engineer.
The team is split into two functions: Manufacture Build Planning (MBP) and Build Line Support. The main purpose of the team is to convert engineering data and designs into detailed manufacturing plans and work instructions to support the submarine build. These roles will primarily be focused on the steelwork/fabrication elements of the submarine build process.
These roles will provide you with the chance to join the team whilst manufacturing is at an early stage of maturity and will develop into the future of the department and function. You will also have the opportunity for future career progression, with a clear, defined career structure within the Manufacturing function.
Your main responsibilities as a Manufacturing Engineers will involve:
- Using Teamcentre to receive engineering designs and SAP to translate these designs into detailed manufacturing plans and work instructions for Operations use.
- Contributing to the management of the Quality and SH&E Systems, for Manufacturing Engineering processes and documentation
- Supporting justifications/business cases that seek to improve business performance, and thus provide optimised return on capital investment
- Assuring product and process quality as determined by company processes
- Providing decision-making information by calculating production, labour, and material costs; reviewing production schedules; and estimating future requirements
- Agreeing and prioritising with customers, emergent work affecting submarine manufacture, fabrication or construction
- Acting as a project focal point for discipline specific tasks ensuring best practices are adopted and embedded. This may involve developing processes within your sub-discipline by studying product requirements; researching, designing, modifying, and testing development methods and equipment by conferring with field specialists and technologists
- Assisting in the deployment of the training and risk assessments associated with your Manufacturing Engineering sub-discipline
- Building effective internal and cross-functional relationships in order to achieve overall Project requirements
Your skills and qualifications as a Manufacturing Engineers:
- Time-served tradesperson and/or HNC (or equivalent) in Manufacturing Engineering
- Trade background in Steelwork/ Fabrication/ Welding or previous experience working in Manufacturing Engineering
- Ability to interpret drawings and/ or CAD model
- IT literate
- Experience in performing route cause analysis and reporting on countermeasures
- Manufacturing Engineering experience
- SAP toolset experience
What we're looking for in you:
You will possess a methodical and analytical approach to your work, alongside the ability to manage projects/responsibilities and deliver to deadlines. You must also have a good level of communication and stakeholder management skills.
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Maritime - Submarines
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
The Astute class will equip the Royal Navy with its largest and most capable generation of attack submarines. We are responsible for the design, build, test and commissioning of these state-of-the-art vessels. In total, seven boats will make up the fleet, each weighing a mighty 7,400 tonnes.
Dreadnought is the successor to the Vanguard class of nuclear deterrent submarines. We will deliver four submarines to the Royal Navy, with the first submarine entering service in the early 2030s. Dreadnought is widely considered to be one of the world's most complex engineering challenges.
We have sites in Barrow-in-Furness, Filton, Frimley, Ash Vale, Broad Oak and Weymouth, and we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around. Join us and you'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
We recognise that an inclusive and diverse workplace - where all employees feel respected, valued and able to achieve their full potential - is vitally important. Not only does it inspire creativity and collaboration, it's good for business. We celebrate our differences and believe our diverse skills, abilities and perspectives strengthen our culture and our overall performance.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!