Mechanical Engineers within Warship Support Technical Authority Services are required to apply theoretical knowledge and practical experience in order to support the design and optimisation of products and services.
What you will be doing… (Role Duties and Responsibilities)
Under technical supervision, provide Mechanical Engineering services to Warship Support COMs, projects, bids and improvement initiatives as directed by the Mechanical Engineering Functional Lead. This may include:
- Identifying equipment/system requirements
- Developing design solutions for mechanical systems
- Conducting supporting calculations for mechanical/marine system design activities
- Ensuring adequate integration with other engineering equipment/systems to ensure all aspects of the design are considered
- Identify safety hazards and support the assessment and mitigation of safety risk
- Writing system/equipment specifications, scopes of work and assessing supplier responses
- Supporting the verification of mechanical equipment and system performance
- Defining acceptance requirements
- Reviewing technical documentation
- Conducting technical investigations and root cause analysis
- Providing mechanical engineering support to operations, test and commissioning, ILS and other functions
- Conducting all activities in a professional manner delivering mechanical design solutions to agreed time, cost and quality to meet project milestones
- Drafting technical reports or other documents relevant to, or required by, a particular task in order to ensure that technical findings can be successfully communicated with recipients
- Maintain accurate records of all design related work in accordance with relevant extant procedures to ensure a complete design record of work undertaken
- Liaison with MOD establishments, test facilities, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers as required to satisfy the needs of the project
- Liaison with Supply Chain, Operations, Test & Commissioning, ILS and other internal functions as required.
- Adopt a professional approach to all mechanical/marine engineering design solutions to ensure knowledge and skills keep pace with the technology
- Articulate and present technical arguments clearly, logically and simply
Entry Requirements and what we are looking for
To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree in a Mechanical engineering degree.
Overview of Business Unit
Maritime Services delivers end-to-end services and support to over half of the Royal Navy’s Surface Fleet. You could join more than 3,500 employees across our UK sites and help deliver a range of services – from ensuring the Royal Navy’s ships are ready to go to sea, managing Portsmouth Naval Base, or even manufacturing radar, torpedoes, small boats and components for aircraft.
We are proud to support the Royal Navy and provide everything its personnel need to live and work at Portsmouth Naval Base. We have extensive experience in managing the base’s facilities and services, including accommodation, catering, transportation and even energy services.
Our support to ships sees us maintain and upgrade the fleet around the globe to ensure the Royal Navy meets its operational commitments
Our training services ensure personnel are capable and ready for maritime action and our products add operational advantage to our UK and international customers, this includes radar, torpedoes and small boats, as well as electronics being used in the new F35 Lightning B aircraft. Our work on complex technologies is used to support defence activities across the globe.
We have sites in Portsmouth, Cowes on the Isle of Wight, Filton near Bristol, Great Baddow in Chelmsford, and Hillend in Scotland
It’s an exciting time to be part of Maritime Services as the work at all our sites is helping the Royal Navy prepare for the arrival of the second Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carrier. By joining Maritime Services you could have the chance to help develop the engineering support required for the carriers throughout their operational life.
If you want to be part of our future working in partnership with the Royal Navy, then a career in Maritime Services awaits you
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!