Site Engineering is responsible for providing an Engineering authority role for Manufacturing Facilities and associated infrastructure across the Barrow submarine site. Although usually aligned to a core discipline, covers all of the key disciplines of Electrical, Instrumentation, Mechanical, Civil, Chemistry and Nuclear Engineering.
As a Site Engineering graduate, you will have the opportunity to be part of an engineering team who provide Engineering authority assurance for infrastructure and Operations equipment throughout the site. Covering system entire lifecycle from concept to demolition, across Projects, Maintenance and Operational activities.
What you will be doing… (Role Duties and Responsibilities)
- To develop and maintain expertise on assigned plant system(s) and use this knowledge to advance the company mission and safety by ensuring the overall performance, safety, condition and associated documentation of these assigned systems are maintained at a high standard. You will be responsible for long term improvements, establishing technical requirements and producing specifications or conducting reviews to ensure compliance with relevant commercial standards, legislation and safety functional requirements.
- This placement will provide you with have variety of engineering projects to work on which will involve engaging with relevant stakeholders, departments and external contractors. You will have the opportunity to experience and develop during placements in a number of areas within your chosen engineering discipline (Electrical/Mechanical/Civil). There may also be elements of product functional safety and systems engineering that may be applied especially in the design justification or substantiation of any safety related systems.
- Although work will be predominately office based there are plenty of opportunities to get out and about across the site by evaluating system performance, engaging with customers to establish requirements and monitoring progress or witness commissioning.
- Engineering graduates will receive support to enable them to meet with competencies required for professional registration with the Engineering Council and obtain valuable experience in a commercially related industrial environment using British and European Standards (rather than Defence Standards).
- Placements will be structured and tailored to provide exposure to the different career paths within Site Engineering.
- You will also be actively seeking and incorporated and/or Chartered status with a professional engineering body.
Entry Requirements and what we are looking for
- To apply, you’ll need to be on course for achieving a 2:2 Bachelor’s degree.
- The degrees that are accepted are: Mechanical biased degree or Civil engineering
Security/ Export Control statement
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement
We are an inclusive employer. Recruiting, retaining and inspiring the best people from the widest pool is vitally important to us. We encourage and welcome applications from all sections of society and are happy to discuss reasonable adjustments and/or additional arrangements you may need to support your application.
Barrow - January 2020
Overview of Business Unit
All roles within Maritime - Submarines are restricted to British citizens who do not hold dual nationality. Unfortunately, if you do not meet these criteria it will not be possible to take your application any further. This does not, however, exclude you from working for other parts of the BAE Systems organisation and further information regarding potential roles can be found on our website.
Our Submarines business has been safely delivering world class submarines to the UK Royal Navy for more than a century.
Today we are the prime contractor in the Astute programme and the UK’s only designer and builder of nuclear powered submarines – one of the world’s most complex engineering challenges. The first three submarines in the class, HMS Astute, HMS Ambush and HMS Artful, are now in service with the Royal Navy and the final four
Astute class submarines are at various stages of construction at the Barrow site.
We are also the industrial lead for the Dreadnought programme, the Royal Navy’s next generation of nuclear deterrent submarines. Construction of the first of four submarines, named Dreadnought, began last year
Our Submarines business employs approximately 8,700 people and in 2017 we spent around £700m with over 700 suppliers.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!