Changing the way people think about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management
Help us make a difference as a Graduate Trainee Data Scientist based from our offices in High Wycombe
Start date – September 2021
Reporting to the Head of BI, the Graduate Trainee Data Scientist will bring their mathematical and logical skills, experience and qualifications to bear on real-world business problems. They will be given access to data sets and data tools with a view to using them to develop analytical models and algorithms to find answers to carefully formulated business questions.
A quick look at the role.
The role is very important in helping the business transform our use of data to derive statistically valid data driven insights into business problems to help us understand our customers’ needs and behaviour as well as gain other insights into our business processes, products and assets such as fixed and mobile machinery or vehicles. These insights will be used to automatically ‘classify’ something, recommend a course of action or predict a likely outcome.
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Working with others in the BI team and on relevant projects to ensure requirements are understood, work is scoped and fixed and the outputs are clearly aligned to the benefits of the project
- Accessing multiple data sets from a variety of sources
- Analysing, cleansing and assessing datasets for suitability to meet project objectives
- Loading, transforming and joining datasets together in an efficient and safe way, ensuring accuracy and appropriate data security
- Storing, maintaining and updating data appropriately
- Communicating clearly and documenting key steps and designing decisions appropriately
- Ensuring work remains in-scope of the project and relevant personnel are kept up to-date on progress, including any problems. Seeking support and guidance as necessary.
- Accepting failures, learning where possible and move forward at pace, taking the learning and insight into future projects
- Working alongside like-minded waste professionals in a brilliantly diverse environment built on transparency – not bureaucracy.
- A chance to join a forward-thinking, industry leader that openly welcomes self-driven individuals who are unafraid to question convention
Here’s what we require:
- Educated to degree level in mathematics, statistics or relevant technical discipline
- Proven experience of programming in python or R or other statistical programming language
- Building mathematical models to answer questions / deliver a result
- At least one of the following
- Analytical and able to quickly assess issues and recommend and/or implement solutions.
- Able to work independently, prioritise and manage workloads under time pressures
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of people, with well-developed customer facing skills
- Highly organised with a high level of attention to detail
Proactive work ethic with ability to manage own workload and timelines
- Analytical and able to quickly assess issues and recommend and/or implement solutions
- Experience of building and maintaining customer relationships
- The ability to communicate with conviction, plan with precision and, most importantly, play well with others.
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Medical and dental scheme.
- Retail and leisure discounts.
- Holiday and travel discounts.
- Bike to work scheme
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!