Changing the way people think about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management
Help us make a difference as a Graduate Trainee Industrial Chemist based from from one of depots in Wednesbury, Atherstone, Sheffield, Burscough, Stevenage or Cardiff
Start date – September 2021
The Graduate Trainee Industrial Chemist will efficiently receive, process and despatch incoming wastes through a hazardous waste treatment and transfer facility. To ensure high standards of customer service is delivered to all stakeholders. This is a key development role, providing the job holder with a planned and structured exposure to a wide range of hazardous waste treatment activities, and enhancing the specialist services talent pipeline.
A quick look at the role.
The role will provide wide ranging support to a variety of projects, processes, and activities. It will ultimately work under the direction of the Operations Manager but will also work closely with the Plant Chemist, Tech Sales Advisor and Operational Specialist Services Managers, as well as the broader Graduate community as part of the Development Plan.
To provide support to the Specialist Services Management Team in delivery of key strategic projects, maintenance of periodic / annual processes and general Specialist Services support.
Personally, flexibility and adaptability are therefore important attributes to be successful in the role.
Subject to regular reviews of progress and personal development, the opportunity exists to significantly enhance the job holders experience within the Specialist Services Management and to provide a robust platform for onward career progression envisaged over an estimated 1-2 years’ timeframe.
It is intended for this role to work on a rotational basis across:
- Hazardous Waste Treatment Management
- Specialist Services Projects and Development
- Specialist Services Health & Safety
- Specialist Services Technical Sales
- Specialist Services Compliance
- Specialist Services Customer Service
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Supporting, under the direction of the Operations Manager to monitor and control all processes within the facility in terms of hazardous waste and equipment to ensure operational productivities and plant availability.
- Ensuring inputs and outputs meet defined standards e.g., permit requirements, discharge consent, pre acceptance, onward transfer caveats, whilst driving best practice and continuous improvement in cost control and processing operations.
- Supporting, under the direction of the Operations Manager in controlling material flows through the site to ensure delays and backlogs are minimised.
- Supporting specific Specialist Services Compliance activities that are typically related to the central maintenance of the Specialist Services system and/or management reporting requirements and /or processing and administration of periodic / annual activities
- Supporting the review of system and the way data and information is used to drive business performance and decision
- Working alongside like-minded waste professionals in a brilliantly diverse environment built on transparency – not bureaucracy.
- A chance to join a forward-thinking, industry leader that openly welcomes self-driven individuals who are unafraid to question convention
Here’s what we require:
- Chemistry related degree (BSc)
- Well developed IT skills inc MS Excel (in particular), Word & PowerPoint
- Analytical with the ability to measure and monitor data
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of people, with well-developed customer facing skills
- Highly organised with a high level of attention to detail
- Confidentiality and total discretion is paramount to this role
- Able to produce high quality written correspondence and reports.
- Well-developed inter-personal skills.
- Proactive work ethic with ability to manage own workload and timelines
- Able to work effectively within a team environment
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Medical and dental scheme.
- Retail and leisure discounts.
- Holiday and travel discounts.
- Bike to work scheme
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!