Changing the way people think about waste.
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 7,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management
Help us make a difference as a Graduate Trainee Industrial Engineer based from our site Horsham.
Start date – September 2021
The Graduate Trainee Industrial Engineer will support the Biffa Polymers manufacturing and project teams in an initial one-year development programme aimed at preparing him / her for an engineering career in Biffa.
From the outset the individual will support manufacturing improvement projects and capital projects in the following areas:
- Efficiency improvement projects (yield, throughput)
- Lean manufacturing initiatives
- Operator training and coaching
- Commissioning of new equipment
- Management of minor capital projects such as debottlenecks
It is recognised that the individual will have limited experience initially and the role will be designed to ensure he / she has sufficient support to be coached and learn from experienced staff, with a parallel training and development path.
During the first year, it is expected that the individual and Biffa will match the individual’s strengths and aspirations to identify a longer term role in the organisation.
A quick look at the role.
This role is designed as an initial training and experience placement, but one in which the job holder rotates into real roles where he / she is given tasks with measurable deliverables and outcomes. The purpose of this is to enable the individual to learn about Biffa Polymer’s production process, contribute to the success of the business and agree with Biffa a long-term career path after approximately one year.
The business runs a 24 / 7 manufacturing operation and the individual may from time to time be required to work shifts (including night and weekend working) as part of the process to build his / her experience.
Although the role will be based at our Horsham site, the individual will be asked to support our other sites from time to time.
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Participating actively in job-based experience placements (primarily in manufacturing initially) to gain an experience of Biffa Polymer’s manufacturing processes and challenges.
- Identification of manufacturing improvement projects, and management of lean initiatives to improve performance
- Working as part of planned maintenance and shutdown teams.
- Experiencing in a capital project, working on defined activities to meet the needs of the project manager – for example, factory acceptance tests, commissioning or writing of specifications.
- Training in health and safety management and leadership of a health and safety task (e.g. an audit or an improvement project).
- Participating in broader skills development outside the employee’s core work area – e.g. financial awareness, communication / presentation skills.
- Working alongside like-minded waste professionals in a brilliantly diverse environment built on transparency – not bureaucracy.
- A chance to join a forward-thinking, industry leader that openly welcomes self-driven individuals who are unafraid to question convention
Here’s what we require:
- A degree in Engineering (electrical or mechanical) or Manufacturing Systems
- An understanding of manufacturing processes and systems.
- A wish to have a career in manufacturing (as opposed to, say, equipment design).
- Confidence when dealing with new people and challenging situations.
- Willingness to challenge the status quo.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of people, with well-developed customer facing skills
- Highly organised with a high level of attention to detail
- Proactive work ethic with ability to manage own workload and timelines
- Experience of building and maintaining customer relationships
- The ability to communicate with conviction, plan with precision and, most importantly, play well with others.
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
- Competitive salary
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Medical and dental scheme.
- Retail and leisure discounts.
- Holiday and travel discounts.
- Bike to work scheme
Dedicated to diversity.
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!