You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let's lead the way together.
Business Unit/Role Specific Information
Do you want to be part of a team driving innovation? Do you want to be given responsibility from day one? Do you want to collaborate with our global teams?
Working in Customer Service and Business Strategy means working at the heart of American Express’s global operations, which sits in our largest division, the Global Servicing Group (GSG) and Travel and Lifestyle Services (TLS). Employing 36,000 staff in 25 countries, no two projects or teams are the same.
Our service is an award-winning differentiator and is at the heart of our company’s vision. Our passion for attracting and retaining talent is what makes us stand out and the reason we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. The American Express 10-week Summer Internship Programme gives you the opportunity to work on meaningful projects and develop leadership skills.
What you’ll do
Customer Service and Business Strategy (CSBS) Internship will offer you a view of our end-to-end business operations. Our interns are collaborators, contributors and project managers, working with colleagues to help resolve some of our most sophisticated business challenges. Our focus is to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. GSG is where we deliver differentiated customer service, engaging our value proposition, driving revenue growth, and discovering efficient ways of doing business.
Responsible for your own project over 10 weeks, your contributions will have a direct impact through identifying process gaps and creating improvement strategies.
This is a scheme for the curious and open-minded; GSG and TLS cover a broad range of departments and projects, and your work will be diverse. You will be responsible for managing a project over the course of the ten weeks, solving a real business need; your project could be in a range of areas, including project and change management, servicing strategy, colleague engagement, capabilities product management, process engineering, or customer experience, among a broad range of other possibilities. We are looking for adaptable team players who enjoy fast-paced work across a variety of operational functions.
Our Summer Internship Programme is the main pipeline into our full-time CSBS Graduate Programme, a two-year program designed to attract and develop diverse talent to be our colleagues of the future.
Who you are
- Strong social skills with the ability to work independently or in teams
- An ability to communicate and collaborate well with people at all levels
- Have an interest in process improvement and different ways of solving problems
- Highly motivated with the ability to lead projects and initiatives to completion
- The ability to lead and bring others with you
- Be analytical, with an interest in both quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Experience in customer service is desirable and previous industry experience is not necessary
- Must be a penultimate year undergraduate from any degree subject area
At AMEX, we pride ourselves on our shared values. We are an organisation who believes in leadership, innovation, and above all, collaboration. When we make change, we bring our customers and colleagues with us. We have a strong culture of inclusion and diversity, where colleagues can bring their whole selves to work, every day.
We strongly encourage applications from individuals who identify as being in an underrepresented group, including:
- Black, African, and Minority Ethnic identities
- Identifying as having a disability
- Identifying as a member of the LGBTQ+ community
The internship is based in our European Headquarters in Brighton.
We value our interns – you bring an external perspective to our business; and in return, we will support your development, by giving you business exposure, access to senior leaders, freedom, tools and encouragement you need to drive innovation. We will give you ownership of your project, alongside which you will participate in an engaging programme of events:
- Welcome to American Express through an induction day and training sessions throughout your internship
- Meaningful projects which have real business impact
- Regular Speaker Series with senior leaders across different business areas
- Social and networking events with other interns across the business
- Structured performance management process, personal and professional development support and regular feedback
Our application process:
To make a successful application please ensure that you answer the below questions in your cover letter:
- Why American Express?
- Why Customer Service Business Strategy?
- What key strengths do you have that would make you a successful graduate within Customer Service Business Strategy at American Express?
We are looking for people who demonstrate they align with our blue box values, fit with our company culture and demonstrate a passion for world class customer service.
Your cover letter and CV will be shared with hiring leaders, so please ensure you spend the time to provide detailed, well researched responses to the questions. Please try to keep your CV to one page and we expect cover letters to be around a page long. Please mention any AMEX campus events you have attended.
If you are invited to the Video Interview stage you will be asked to answer 3 questions around motivation for applying, leadership and collaboration work. If you are successful in the Video Interview stage you will be invited to a full day Assessment Centre, taking place in late Autumn which consists of 2 interviews, a case study, and a group task.
In order for your application to be considered, please complete the below steps:
- Click on ‘Apply Now’
- Create a new username and password
- Complete and submit your application!
Our team will review completed applications on a rolling basis. We would encourage you submit your applications early as applications may close before the deadline. We appreciate your patience while we consider your application and will be in contact with you by November. The deadline for applications is 19 November.
If you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Campus Recruitment Team.
We back our colleagues and their loved ones with benefits and programs that support their holistic well-being. That means we prioritize their physical, financial, and mental health through each stage of life.
- Competitive base salaries
- Bonus incentives
- Support for financial-well-being and retirement
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and disability benefits (depending on location)
- Flexible working model with hybrid, onsite or virtual arrangements depending on role and business need
- Generous paid parental leave policies (depending on your location)
- Free access to global on-site wellness centres staffed with nurses and doctors (depending on location)
- Free and confidential counselling support through our Healthy Minds program
- Career development and training opportunities
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.