Who are Caterpillar?
We are the world's leading manufacturer of Construction and Mining Equipment, and one of the world’s most respected companies and brands. By joining our industrial placement scheme, you will be able to explore various roles and disciplines around the business to help develop your career. Our core values (Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Commitment and Sustainability) are key to our success.
What do we do?
This role will be based in Peterborough where we design, develop and manufacture the Powertrain Solutions for Caterpillar and other OEMs, as well as deliver analytics and digital services to our customers. You will be working within our supplier development team helping to ensure that new supplier processes developed across Europe are capable of repeatedly producing excellent quality levels. You will have the opportunity to work with our Caterpillar global team members and will gain practical knowledge and experience of supplier’s manufacturing processes.
What experiences can we offer you?
During this year-long placement you will receive mentorship from experienced supplier development engineers, and you will rotate through a few commodities to understand about manufacturing a range of engine components. Specific processes that you will learn first-hand include:
- Advanced product quality planning (APQP), including production part approval process (PPAP).
- Process failure mode & effects analysis (PFMEA), control plans and standard work.
- Root cause corrective action processes for when defects do occur.
- Process change notifications.
- Supplier quality excellence program qualification.
You will have the opportunity to get involved in supplier visits and auditing, along with supplier performance meetings. APQP collaboration meetings would give you insight into how engineering, suppliers, logisticians and supplier development engineers come together to agree component parts designs and manufacturing plans.
You will receive some formal instructor led training, however most of your learning will be on the job experience of active projects and hands on supplier development activity.
Who are we looking for?
- As the type of roles within our business are becoming more diverse, we are looking for applicants who are proactive, action driven and enjoy problem solving.
- The successful candidate will have a desire to learn about quality and to understand more about manufacturing techniques.
- Applicants should be on target to achieve a minimum of a 2:2 in an Engineering related degree subject.
- Ideally, applicants should have a long-term interest or desire to develop a career in component manufacturing development.
We hold a Meet and Greet day for all new UK placement students. We also have a vibrant Young Professionals chapter at Peterborough which organises various social activities along with Peterborough Young Engineers and a local Society of Women Engineers.
How do I apply?
Please click apply and complete our online application form.
Please only apply for one discipline. You will be given the option of applying for a second discipline during the application process.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!