About Caterpillar and what we do.
Caterpillar has been building the world's infrastructure for over 80 years as the leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines and industrial gas turbines. But beyond this, the organisation has established itself as a technology leader in construction, transportation, mining, forestry, energy, logistics, electronics, financing and electric power generation.
Operating from 50 countries around the globe, the Caterpillar brand has developed into a symbol of strength, respect, and integrity. The organisation has a clear vision to be the global leader in providing customer value in the markets in which it operates. Underpinning all this is a real commitment to social and environmental responsibility, which is upheld by all 101,000 employees. In fact, Caterpillar is convinced that it is their people who drive the business and they are constantly looking for ways in which they can grow profitably through sustainable progress.
Caterpillar is a globally diverse company with people coming from many places. Their backgrounds and experiences are different and so are the businesses they work for within Caterpillar.
What experiences can we offer you?
The Custom Power Solutions group is responsible for the design and manufacture of customer specific diesel and gas generator sets. This role will be working within the engineering team who are responsible for the mechanical packaging design and validation of the equipment.
The key role of this entry level engineering position is to learn and assist, gain an understanding of Caterpillar's business and procedures, to learn and develop skills which result from the practical application of basic engineering knowledge and to provide assistance to a project team or others in the work group.
The successful candidate will work on varied unique projects and will be responsible for designing both generators and associated electric power products.
- Work as part of a design team accountable for the delivery of customer specific design projects.
- Gain knowledge of design tools and processes.
- Development of product knowledge, including critical customer requirements and product applications.
- Development of supplier knowledge and capabilities including design for manufacturing and cost modelling
- Creation of design schemes and detail drawings. Supporting work will include calculations, report writing and taking the lead of Design Reviews
- Supplier and Customer collaboration to achieve high quality, cost effective designs.
We will provide you with the training and support you need to be successful at Caterpillar. Our graduates are given the support and coaching required to develop their technical capability and business understanding. Within a short period of time our graduates are provided with key engineering responsibilities and quickly become embedded team members that are vital to the success of the Engineering department. The experience this offers means that our graduates are well positioned to become future leaders and technical experts within our business.
We value diversity at Caterpillar and the benefits that it provides to our business, therefore we will provide you the opportunity to collaborate and share your creative ideas from the beginning of your career.
Who are we looking for?
Key competencies required:
- Competent using MS Office suite and ideally experienced in the use of CAD.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Desire to challenge both yourself and the organisation on delivery of technically superior cost-effective designs and solutions.
- Potential to be a technical leader within Caterpillar.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a global team, as well as on own initiative.
- Strong planning, organising and problem-solving skills.
- Willing to travel and engage different cultures.
A minimum of 2:2 honours degree level in mechanical, aerospace, aeronautical, automotive or product design engineering disciplines (other relevant engineering disciplines will also be considered).
We hold a Meet and Greet day for all new UK graduates.
How do I apply?
You will be given the option of applying for a second discipline during the application process, however you will not be considered for all applications.
Caterpillar is an equal opportunity employer.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!