Who are Caterpillar?
We are the world’s leading manufacturer of Construction and Mining Equipment and hold an enviable reputation and brand that is recognised in many countries. We incorporate our core values (Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork, Commitment and Sustainability) in everything that we do, and they are key to our success. By joining our graduate scheme, you will be given the opportunity to explore different roles and disciplines around the business to help develop your skills and career.
As a member of the Manufacturing Engineering team based in Peterborough, you will be working on key projects in the development and implementation of new and existing manufacturing processes in combustion engine assembly, test and finish.
You will work closely with local manufacturing engineering specialists and project engineers as well as cross-functional departments and global manufacturing facilities within the Industrial Power Systems Division (IPSD).
What experiences can we offer you?
Lasting two years, the Manufacturing Engineering graduate development scheme gives you the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge as you take responsibility for diverse and strategically important business projects, managing their delivery to be on time and to budget.
- Rotations during the scheme can vary in length but typically last 6 months majoring on Manufacturing Engineering disciplines from the following:
- Manufacturing planning for introducing new products and processes
- Continuous improvement opportunities on existing production lines
- Developing component machining process solutions
- Delivering global manufacturing projects
- Designing and implementing engine assembly, test and paint solutions
- Manufacturing information systems and PLC software development
- Sharing manufacturing best practise across global sites and implementing solutions
- Production line operator management
Based within Manufacturing engineering your rotations will include close collaboration with other significant business areas such as: Operations and Quality, Design, Mechanical Development, Product Management, Logistics, Finance, Purchasing, Suppliers and Customers enabling you to understand their interactions and how a company the size of Caterpillar operates on a global scale.
Whilst on the development scheme, as well as technical projects, you will be given project leadership experience to grow your skills portfolio. This is encouraged through support with the right amount of freedom to develop your technical capability and business acumen. Within a short period of time you will become an embedded team member within the Manufacturing Engineering department.
You will be encouraged to take the opportunity of a mentor from a Professional institute, either the IMechE or IET, for progression towards your professional qualifications. During the development scheme, we will work with you to find long term demanding roles meeting the business needs, into which you will transition upon completion of the scheme.
Who are we looking for?
You should be able to demonstrate teamwork, have good communication skills that can be applied to all levels of the business and be self-motivated with an enthusiasm for engineering and technology. You should also be comfortable with gathering and analysing data for decision making and have planning and organisational skills. A desire to succeed and develop is vital.
- Knowledge of the use of design packages (AutoCAD, Creo), 3D printing, tooling and fixture design or appreciation of PLC software is desirable.
- Degree Disciplines Accepted: (providing on track for a 2:2)
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Manufacturing Systems Engineering and Management
- Automotive Engineering
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineering
- Industrial and Production Engineering
- Robotics and Mechatronics
- Aerospace Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
How to apply
Please complete an online application form to apply. Please only apply for one discipline. You will be given the option of applying for a second discipline during the application process. If you apply for multiple disciplines, you will not be considered for all applications.
Caterpillar is an equal opportunity employer.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!