£29,000 - £32,750
Are you ready to be part of a world-leading, inspiring and ambitious team? We’re making some exciting changes to our company brands and uniting SNC-Lavalin, Atkins, and Faithful+ Gould (operating under AtkinsRéalis our new name is Project & Programme Services). Aligned to this we’re introducing a brand new look.
This is a journey, and it will take time to evolve, so for early careers you will still see us as Atkins for the time being. Please be reassured that this doesn’t impact any of the roles you apply for – we’re still us, just better.
Atkins, operating under AtkinsRéalis is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design, engineering and project management expertise. With us, you’ll join a team that asks questions and dares to see things differently while engineering a better future for our planet and its people.
Join our Graduate Development Programme where you'll be trusted with complex work and supported by your peers, line managers and senior leaders. We’ll give you everything you need to thrive; from plenty of opportunities in areas you’re interested in, to flexibility for work, life and study – not to mention excellent training and support to develop professionally. Join us: you'll be in great company.
Reaching your full potential means being able to bring your whole self to work and being respected for the different opinions, strengths and experience you bring. We’re not all the same, and that’s our greatest strength. Find out more about why we believe ‘Different, makes a difference’ on our website.
Where you could work
Bristol, Epsom, London, Glasgow
Minimum 2.2 Bachelors or above in Communications / Telecommunications, Computer Networking, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Information Communications Technology
Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) is the team that works across mission-critical industries to exploit cutting-edge advanced technology across Government, Aerospace & Defence and the Critical National Infrastructure markets, helping clients respond innovatively to evolving external environments. We're maintaining our Defence sector's resilience, transforming aerospace, and keeping our national infrastructure systems running safely. ADS&T work with leading names to transform the future of aerospace engineering and support our national defence programmes across all domains: land, sea, air, maritime and cyber.
Working as an Atkins consulting ICT engineer within the communication and networks element of our communications business, you will be involved in the design and development of a wide variety of electronic communications systems and data networks. Working with our clients and their ICT systems, you could be responsible for any aspect of a developing telecommunications system, from the analysis of user requirements through to managing installation contracts.
You could be exposed to every aspect of the engineering of electronic communications systems; from infrastructure (e.g. optical cable networks and radio) through to the configuration of complex data networks and design of Data Centres. You could find yourself working on systems for a new airport or hotel, university or defence installation. Alternatively, your work could involve the development of next-generation broadband networks including the advancement of 5G.
If you are keen to learn and develop your skill-set and knowledge, you can look forward to a variety of opportunities, support and encouragement. You can get involved in some of our exciting specialist areas, which include;
- Complex telecommunications and IT networks supporting the defence and nuclear markets for the MOD, EDF and Sellafield
- Wireless/radio and WirelessLAN where we provide technical advice for transportation and aviation clients such as Heathrow Airport, TFL and Transport Scotland
- Information security – We understand and implement the procedures and processes to deliver IT systems in some of the highest security environments for confidential clients
- Exposed to different technologies such as VMWare, Red Hat, OpenStack, Open vSwitch, Microsoft HyperV
Our Early Careers Programme is the ideal framework to enable enthusiastic people to drive their own career development. You will be supported and motivated to develop the skills and knowledge you need to progress in your early career. Our programme features signature events, core training modules, professional development mentoring and on-the-job experience.
We offer a world of opportunities that will enable you to shape your career the way you want to.
You will be given the independence and responsibility to drive your career alongside having a supportive structure in place to help you grow, with guidance from experienced consultants & engineers. You will work on real life projects and being given a variety of assignments.
Our early careers programmes embrace an amazing culture and social aspect to allow you to network and build professional relationships which will enhance your development.
What you can bring
- A passion for working in a consultancy environment
- Embracing equality, diversity and inclusion in everything you do
- A desire to work collaboratively with a curious approach, challenging yourself to find new solutions
- Enthusiasm and drive to develop your skillset and seek out development opportunities within a supportive team
- Motivation to achieve professional accreditation (where applicable)
- Comfortable to embrace agile ways of working and learning new technologies.
Training and development
Our graduate programme has been designed to give you an insight into a wide variety of areas of work and the chance to explore where your own skills and interests lie.
Featuring a series of training events and modules, professional development, mentoring and on-the-job experience as well as practical skills development, you’ll work on real projects from day one, that offer scale and variety, collaborating with others and creating meaningful impact on the world around us. You’ll work towards your professional accreditation where applicable; so whichever path you take, your future starts here.
Meeting your needs
As well as ensuring you’re rewarded for your efforts, we also have a variety of initiatives to support you:
- A settling in payment of £2,500 when you join and a further payment of £2,500 when you achieve chartered status or reach an equivalent stage in your professional development
- 33 days annual leave, including bank holidays, with the option to buy an additional 15 days or sell up to 5 day
- Flexible working arrangements
- Two paid annual volunteer days
- Join any of our employee networks for social interaction, peer support and personal development
- Opportunities to further develop yourself by applying to various company-wide development programmes
- An enhanced maternity scheme and family friendly policies
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) providing you with immediate and confidential help for any work, health or life matters
- Life #InsideAtkins - join hundreds of talented graduates, with opportunities from skill-building to social events, charity challenges, Young Professional Awards, social clubs, and exciting secondments.
To view all available benefits, visit our Total Rewards portal.
How do I apply?
Click "Apply Now" below to start your application.
Do also check out our Connectr platform for tips and advice on applying. You can message your questions directly to one of our graduate mentors.
We’re a Disability Confident Employer, and can make adjustments to support you to perform at your best during the recruitment process. Please contact us confidentially at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how we can support you.
Our programmes are incredibly popular, so please apply as soon as possible as roles will close based on the volume of applications.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy. From designing end-to-end project solutions to pioneering new technologies and ways of working, everything we do supports our goal of delivering outstanding project outcomes for our clients, while engineering a better future for our planet and its people – no matter the scale, complexity or location of their project.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. The vetting process is delivered by United Kingdom Security Vetting (UKSV) and may require candidates to provide proof of residency in the UK of 5 years or longer. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins are an A rated sponsor, if you have any queries regarding sponsorship, please visit our International Student careers page.
We are committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community - a place where we can all be ourselves, thrive and develop. To help embed inclusion for all, from day one, we offer a range of family friendly, inclusive employment policies, flexible working arrangements and employee networks to support staff from different backgrounds. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
£29,000 - £32,750
Preferred Degree Subjects
Computer Science and IT
Communication Engineering and related
Electrical Engineering and related