Design managers lead on all design matters relating to the project ensuring that all disciplines in the external and internal teams are working together. i.e. ensure the consultants and design sub contractors are identified, a design programme and appointments are in place and progress is managed throughout the design phase. Review the design for quality and compliance with the contract and ensure the design is delivered on time and on budget.
Design Managers will work in the office during tender and PCSA stages and once projects start, you will then work on site and shadow the Design team, gaining a better understanding of the role. You will be allocated tasks, attend meetings with subcontractors, and internal and external stakeholders allowing you to further your knowledge and expand your network.
Over the course of your graduate programme, you will be given more and more responsibilities, eventually having responsibility for individual sections or packages. Duties include:
- Reviewing consultant's design
- Attending design team meetings
- Ordering samples for client review
- Collating submissions for planning conditions
- Responding to RFI's (Request for Information)
- Supporting internal teams i.e. commercial team with preparation for VE proposals and sub contractor appointments
The Industrial Placement Programme
Our 12 month Industrial Placements gives you the opportunity to build a full understanding of all aspects of our business and to kick-start your career in construction. You'll be empowered to deliver extraordinary customer service and state-of-the-art, innovative projects.
- You can expect to work closely with experts from our team, learning all about the core areas of our business, including Site Management, Quantity Surveying and Technical or Building Services.
- You will attend bespoke ISG workshops on soft skills and technical training to get a better understanding of the industry and how to handle various situations that may arise.
- It's the perfect opportunity to put everything you've learnt in your degree so far into practice on a live project.
- You will also complete a development record to showcase your development throughout the programme which will be reviewed by your supervisor who will offer support throughout the scheme.
Candidate Profile and entry criteria
You will be studying towards a degree in a relevant subject and on target for a 2:2 result and have a passion for the Construction Industry.
There will be scope to learn and grow throughout the duration of the one-year programme, recognising that this time is used to make you an expert in your field to flourish and progress your career further resulting in a potential offer to join ISG as part of the Graduate scheme.
- Attention to detail
- Organisational skills
- Able to use own initiative
- Confidence to manage and interact with internal and external stakeholders
- Good time keeping
- Willingness to get stuck in
- Willingness to listen and learn
- Ability to work as a team
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with staff at all levels
- Ability to be self-starting and independent as well as self-motivated
- Approachable, positive, flexible, adaptable and friendly team member
- Ability to travel when required
Why join ISG
ISG is a forward-thinking company focusing on people welfare. We are not like a traditional Construction company and have a family/friendly culture on site and in the offices. You have the ability to make a difference to what the company does as well as the opportunity to build a fantastic portfolio by working on different projects and sectors. There is something here for everyone depending on your interests!
All our employees must be committed to acting in line with our core values. These are the guiding principles that determine our actions and behaviours at ISG:
- Dream Smart – We encourage new thinking and bold ideas backed by knowledge, sound decision and first rate implementation.
- Speak Frankly – We value clarity and honesty and we are open and straight forward in all our dealings. We never shy away from tough conversations.
- Always Care – We take pride in the quality of our work and demonstrate respect and care for the wellbeing and health & safety of our customers, our people, and our world.
- Never Stop Learning – We encourage and reward great ideas. We constantly strive to improve by seeking new knowledge and skills.
- Competitive salary
- Competitive Family Friendly Policies
- Private medical cover
- Pension matching scheme
- Discount on selected retailers and gyms
- Voluntary benefits such as cycle to work
Our workplace strategy ‘Work for You’ includes flexible working practices such as hybrid working where employees can split their working time between work and home. We also recognise that some roles lend themselves to flexible options more than others, so if this is important to you please discuss this with your recruiter, during the hiring process.
ISG is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
London, Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Manchester , Reading