The Technology R&D Development Engineer/Chemist will be responsible for design and development of new material and process technologies, product platform development, knowledge and project management for all research and development projects at our Colorite Belfast facility.
Results delivery in the following (representative) areas :
, for example
- Time to market
- Project performance to project schedules/goals
- Costs versus budget
Portfolio and pipeline management
, for example
- New product revenue
- Profit on new products
- Pipeline throughput
- Market Share
- Pipeline Conversion
Product strategy and technology management
, for example
- Return on R&D investment, by project type and/or market segment
- R&D Spend versus revenue or growth opportunity projects
- Strategic balance of completed projects - platform or product
The Technology R&D Development Engineer/Chemist, will support and deliver results through the activities listed below:
- Collaborates with Marketing and Sales to understand business unit priorities.
- Innovates from understood options, make decisions using knowledge & expertise, delivering innovative, profitable, and valued new products and processes that are aligned to current business plans or strategic growth initiatives.
- Networks with teams of chemists, engineers, toxicologists, health and safety, marketing, and sales personnel across multiple Tekni-Plex business units and customer.
- Networks and collaborates globally with Procurement, Legal, Marketing, Manufacturing operations, Technical Operations, Regulatory and Quality functions to transfer and commercialise new products and processes at appropriate BU locations.
- Develops regional technical capabilities in line with BU product, process, and platform development requirements.
- Monitors global industry/technological advances, trends, and markets in relevant areas.
- Coordinates with and develops global networks of external suppliers, test houses, technology partners or experts as required
- Utilise global assets/capabilities when the scope of the product development work programme/project is outside regional business unit assets and/or capabilities.
- Actively engage in industry and functional forums and incorporate external best practices as appropriate.
- Provides substantial advanced polymer and technical expertise to research and development projects and supporting Technical Operations when required.
- Accountable for project management and coordination of allocated research and development projects.
- Accountable for formulation, compounding, extrusion, and injection molding product & process development through bench, pilot and production scale up as and when required.
- Ensures that customers product criteria is correctly understood and defined on each product/project to target a “first right time” approach.
- Responsibility for outlining, planning, directing, and completing product and process development programs, platform management and stage gate program execution.
- Coordinates with Marketing and strategic customers in communicating new development technologies and products as appropriate
- Prepares progress reports and communicates effectively with other departmental heads and senior management.
- In collaboration with the Technical Operations and manufacturing Teams, implement best practices in global technology, product and project knowledge management.
- Champions GLP within BU. Incorporates FDA, ASTM and ISO standards through the product development life cycle, designing and developing the required inspection and control methodologies.
- Knowledge transfer of formulations, products and processes to regional hubs as and when required.
- Mentors, leads, and advises sales, marketing and junior chemists/engineers in areas of scientific, regulatory, project management and customer issues.
- Reviews scientific information’s to ensure data is complete, sound, logical and supports project/program goals.
- Routinely analyses and defines problems, collects relevant data, recognizes patterns, draw valid conclusions, and recommend potential courses of action to management.
- Aid and assist in problem solving for various technical, manufacturing, product and customer issues.
- Exhibits a high level of safety awareness and conducts lab operations in a safe manner as well as holds others accountable for safe behaviour in the work environment.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
BSc in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related discipline
1 year related experience in the development of polymer compounds, preferably for the medical device industry. Good knowledge in the field of polymer compounding and/or polymer processing techniques.
PhD in Chemistry, Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related discipline; 5 years related experience in the development of polymer compounds, preferably for the medical device industry.
Expert knowledge in the field of polymer compounding and polymer processing techniques.