DSTL delivers a wide range of science and technology for customers across the Ministry of Defence and Government, to help protect the UK and our armed forces from real world threats, both at home and abroad.
DSTL’s Business Planning & Performance Team sits at the heart of the organisation, providing performance data and information to the Chief Executive, the Board and our Senior Leaders. The team works across the whole organisation, working in partnership to develop reports and analysis, and to develop tools for reporting business data more effectively.
In delivering these reports, you will draw on a range of technical skills, using Excel, PowerPoint and Power BI, applying them to solve immediate challenges. The reports will cover all aspects of Dstl’s business from Operations, to Finance. You will have a great eye for detail and presentation, using creativity to produce reports that can be easily interpreted.
You will build a network of positive relationships across the business in order to underpin your work. Based at Dstl’s Headquarters at Porton Down, you will work across the business to help colleagues develop reports for their own business areas and work with the team to ensure best practise standards and guidance are followed by local business analysts.
We are looking for someone who is:
Developing experience and interest in business analysis and or business management, or in similar analytical fields.
You should be a current undergraduate studying for a degree which allows you to have experience of the skills outlined below.
We're seeking individuals with great team working and communication skills who want to develop their data analysis and reporting skills in a dynamic environment. In particular those with a strong track-record in:
• Business analysis
• Data collection & analysis,
• Statistical Analysis,
• Data Science & Analytics,
• Data Visualisation,
• Experience of developing tools, software design and development and of using off-the-shelf packages such as Power BI or equivalent
• Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel and PowerPoint
We will need you to have relevant technical knowledge and experience gained from your degree, strong IT and communication skills with a flexible, adaptable and inquisitive approach to work.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Why do you want to work at Dstl and what you do you hope to get out of it?
- Give an example of when you have conducted and communicated data analysis? What did you learn?
- Give an example of when you’ve adapted your communication to give the same message to different groups of people. What changes did you make?
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!