Our Platform Systems Division of Dstl supports the Ministry of Defence and wider government in a broad range of ground breaking technical research areas. We respond to current and future demands ensuring that the UK retains a battle-winning advantage. We provide a broad range of impartial evidence-based analysis supporting high priority decision-making and evaluate exciting new capabilities and technologies.
You will work on a wide variety of projects - no one day is the same. You will take vital capabilities and push them to their limits, using creativity and innovation to solve real-world problems for real-world customers. We work at the forefront of defence research and innovation, which is a dynamic and rapidly evolving environment. Quite simply, this is work that you cannot do anywhere else.
You will work with Project Managers and Project Technical Authorities who will be responsible for the overall delivery of the project, however you will be expected to lead individual work packages or aspects of the work and deliver these to a high standard.
You will develop the skills needed to explain your complex technical research to diverse audiences and ensure their understanding. You will also develop networks with external partners, always ensuring we continue to deliver the technical quality expected of Dstl and maximising the value of our research.
Your work will contribute to a diverse team of specialists delivering critical scientific, analytical and engineering solutions. This could be developing the latest novel and bespoke tools, models and techniques, working on trials outside of the office or in laboratory testing, and be anything from working with the latest military equipment and weapon systems to things we simply can’t tell you about until you join.
We are looking for someone who:
• Is studying for a STEM degree
• Has strong underpinning English, Maths and IT skills
• Has an inquisitive and enquiring mind
• Enjoys problem solving
• Has good attention to detail
• Is creative and innovative
• Is keen to put forward their own ideas
• Has great communication skills
• Collaborates with others and works well in a team
• Apply your technical and personal skills to real world challenges.
• Work within a multidisciplinary team to provide timely, impartial, evidence-based advice.
• Lead small work packages, being responsible for your own research and analysis.
• Provide technical advice and direction to industrial and academic partners and suppliers.
• Prepare and deliver technical reports and presentations to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Have the opportunity to work on a variety of projects across the air maritime and land environments in a variety of specialist capability areas such as weapons, survivability and autonomy.
• Develop your knowledge and understanding of defence and security challenges and issues.
We are particularly looking for:
• Computer Science
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Developing Self and Others
• Flexible working
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
• Chartership and accreditation support
• Generous annual leave
• A competitive salary
• Excellent learning and development
• Onsite gyms and restaurants
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!