Are you passionate about delivering high impact research and analysis? Do you want to make a difference to the way Defence and Security operates and how it protects the UK and our armed forces, from real world threats, both at home and abroad?
Our Platform Systems Division of Dstl supports the Ministry of Defence and wider government in a broad range of ground breaking technical research areas. We respond to current and future demands ensuring that the UK retains a battle-winning advantage. We provide a broad range of impartial evidence-based analysis supporting high priority decision-making and evaluate exciting new capabilities and technologies.
Our work is about delivering, sustaining and improving our military capability for the UK in key areas:
- Survivability - we safeguard our armoured vehicles, warships and aircraft against the harshest combat environments
- Weapons - where our research delivers the most advanced weapon capabilities for our armed services
- Systems - we ensure that all the latest advanced equipment operates together seamlessly on our warships, military vehicles, and aircraft.
You will work on a wide variety of projects - no one day is the same. You will take vital capabilities and push them to their limits, using creativity and innovation to solve real-world problems for real-world customers. We work at the forefront of defence research and innovation, which is a dynamic and rapidly evolving environment. Quite simply, this is work that you cannot do anywhere else.
You will undertake technical work from the very start of your career at Dstl, working with industry, academia and internationally to deliver advice to our customers right across the MOD and other parts of Government. There will be opportunities to travel to military sites, attend various trials and undertake international travel.
You will work with a Project Manager and Project Technical Authority who will be responsible for the overall delivery of the project, however you will be expected to lead individual work packages or aspects of the work and deliver these to a high standard.
You will develop the skills needed to explain your complex technical research to diverse audiences and ensure their understanding. You will also develop networks with external partners, always ensuring we continue to deliver the technical quality expected of Dstl and maximising the value of our research.
Your work will contribute to a diverse team of specialists delivering critical scientific, analytical and engineering solutions. This could be developing the latest novel and bespoke tools, models and techniques, working on trials outside of the office or in laboratory testing, and be anything from working with the latest military equipment and weapon systems to things we simply can’t tell you about until you join.
Training and Development
Our development scheme will support your early career development through a mixture of on-the-job, course-based training and placements.
- Internal placements providing you with the opportunity to experience a wide range of technical areas
- External secondment to build your experience and networks
- A wide range of exciting training modules for you choose from to build your technical ability and military, defence and security domain awareness.
- Awareness visits to customers and suppliers.
- Formal training courses to develop your technical skills.
- Talks and discussion groups led by some of our technical experts.
- Personal skills development.
- Networking with other graduates, both in our division and across Dstl, including access to our new starter support network.
We are looking for someone who wants to:
- Use their STEM degree to make a real difference/impact to the defence and security of the UK
- Solve problems and develop analytical and research solutions
- Work with the best minds whether they are in Government, industry or academia
- Learn new skills and techniques and to continue their own professional development
In this role you will
- Complete a two year development scheme allowing you to balance project delivery with personal development.
- Have the opportunity to work towards chartership with the appropriate institution.
- Attend military and industry awareness visits, improving your understanding of our customer’s requirements.
- Work within a multidisciplinary team to provide timely, impartial, evidence-based advice.
- Lead small work packages, being responsible for your own research and analysis.
- Provide technical advice and direction to industrial and academic partners and suppliers.
- Prepare and deliver technical reports and presentations to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of defence and security challenges and issues.
- Helping to solve some of the biggest challenges for defence and security.
- Simultaneously working across a number of high impact projects.
- Learning and developing agile and innovative ways to deliver your work.
- Maintain an awareness of advances in science and technology.
Your application will start with us gathering some basic information and once we've quickly checked that you are eligible to progress you'll be invited to complete the remainder of your application where we'll be looking for information about you, your skills, background and technical experience.
Finally you'll be invited to one of our sites for an interview and a chance to meet some of our current graduates and find out more about the roles in the areas you are being considered for.
At Dstl we are committed to inclusivity and diversity within our workforce. During the application process we collect information to help us monitor this. It helps us better-understand our incoming workforce, as well as highlighting areas of improvement.
The information we request will be anonymised and therefore will not be used to make a decision about your application - no applicant or employee will ever be seen as more or less favourable based on disability, gender, martial or civil partnership status, age, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion/belief.
Important Eligibility Information
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last 5 years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. Some roles will require Developed Vetting (DV). Unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!