Looking for somewhere to start your career? Want to join an award winning successful Commercial team?
We’re an organisation that can support you in starting your career in procurement, commercial or supply chain .This is an exciting and challenging role with an organisation committed to ongoing career development We're seeking individuals with skills studying towards an honours degree, Masters or PhD and are particularly interested in candidates studying towards degrees aimed at understanding business & commercial; however this is not exhaustive as many a procurement professional has stumbled across the profession form another path such as social science, science or engineering!
We have a diverse variety of work that offer the chance to develop a rounded skill set through challenging and complex responsibilities. You can expect to be deployed on a range of projects from supporting UK military operations to protecting national infrastructure.
Alongside your specialist expertise, we’re looking for individuals who think systematically, creatively and are effective communicators. Whether your role is in support of sourcing, contract management or sales activities you will make an immediate contribution to projects.
You’ll be working alongside Procurement professionals who will give you a rare opportunity to work at the forefront of Defence research. We invest in our staff and you’ll be able to take your Commercial knowledge and experience and grow as you tackle new challenges and develop yourself through on the job training, mentoring and on the job experience.
These roles are unique and rewarding; and it offers a chance to be a part of a distinctive procurement & sales environment with the opportunity to utilise your existing skill sets and degree education.
As a summer student or industrial placement we will help you build the knowledge and skills by being part of the Ministry of Defence’s science and technology programme. A variety of roles are available within Commercial division this year and include focuses on;
- Sourcing – Finding the appropriate route to market to procure your requirement
- Contract management – Utilising tools and techniques to provide assurance & drive value for money on contracts
- Sales –placement of sales contracts for unique facilities & capabilities
- We need people from a variety of backgrounds and we will draw on your interests allowing you to think creatively about your work – work which you could not expect to do anywhere else.
Our roles give you the opportunities to:
- Draft and deliver bespoke (tailored) Contracts
- Procure assets for operational divisional requirements
- Source requirements through Frame Work contracts
- Apply Contract management principals in support of our Frame Work contracts
- Provide support to our sales team and undertake sales activities
- Develop understanding of supply chain ecosystems, Small & Medium Enterprise behaviour
- Contribute to Maximising the effectiveness and efficiency of our S&T infrastructure and assets
- Working with industry, academia, wider Government and its allies to access and build capability – Supplier Relationship Management
- Understand & apply Contract administration
- Understand the legal context to contracting and apply principles
- Develop procurement requirements with other divisional (non- commercial) Dstl staff colleagues for internal projects programmes of work, such as Cyber, Information systems, counter terrorism & security and defence & security analysis
We're looking for people who can demonstrate the following qualifications, skills and knowledge;
We're seeking individuals with skills studying towards an honours degree, Masters or PhD.
We are particularly interested with candidates studying towards degrees in the following subjects; however this is not exhaustive as many a procurement professional has stumbled across the profession form another path such as social science, science or engineering!
- Supply Chain
- Contract Management
- Social Sciences
- International Studies
You Skills and Knowledge;
- Some knowledge of business or commercial either theoretical or actual and Defence, we will help you develop further your understanding in regard to procurement, contract management and sales.
- Strong communications
- An ability to work as part of a team but also able to think on your feet
- Able to deliver against deadlines & milestones whilst taking personal responsibility for your work and continuous development
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong IT skills
- Being proactive and able to take the initiative
- Commitment continued professional development
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Why do you want to apply for this role?
- Explain how you feel your degree links to the role, and how you could you apply your degree to the role
- Please tell us about how you work as part of a team
- How do you see this role as helping you with your future career? What are your ambitions/aspirations?
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Flexible working
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay
- Chartership and accreditation support
- Generous annual leave
- A competitive salary
- Excellent learning and development
- Onsite gyms and restaurants
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!