Join the Go-Ahead Engineering Management Graduate Programme and you’ll be more than a valued team member in a growing international transport group - and more than a future leader with one of the UK’s leading rail and bus companies.
You’ll become part of our mission to create a world where every journey is taken care of - joining a 30,000-strong team that makes those journeys happen for millions of customers in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Singapore and Australia.
Go-Ahead’s two-year graduate engineering programme develops people to become a key part of the engineering management function, suited to graduates aspiring to gain Incorporated or Chartered status. Our engineering graduates are fast-tracked through an introduction to maintenance workshops and practices, exposed to vehicle design and production, and gain knowledge of emerging technologies. This is all alongside developing the key competencies that should be expected of any great graduate scheme: finances, HR, health & safety, and communication.
Wherever your journey takes you, you really can get ahead with Go Ahead. Many of our MD’s and company directors started their careers as a graduate, that road is open to you too - so start your journey right now.
Our engineering graduates can expect to be exposed to:
- Workshop environments – think vehicle inspections, identifying defects, accident repairs etc
- MOT preparation and testing
- Responsibilities around Quality and Technical Engineering requirements
- Fleet maintenance
- Document and operational management
What we are looking for:
- A positive attitude and the ability to inspire confidence in and motivate others
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - clear, concise and engaging
- A customer focus, keen to deliver for Go-Ahead’s vast network of bus and rail users
- The ability to work with team members at all levels and deal with members of the public
- Forward-thinking, innovative ideas to drive the business forward
- Resilience and the ability to work in a high-pressure environment
- Skills in problem-solving, analysis and dealing with complex data
- Time management, methodical thinking, and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
- A collaborative approach – keen to share knowledge and skills
- A commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion
- Determination to succeed and develop yourself personally and professionally
Go-Ahead are looking for Engineers with a hands-on, practical approach to complement their degree-level education. Applicants should have:
- Minimum of a 2:2 in mechanical or electrical / electronic engineering
- An interest in tinkering with engines and understanding how they work. If you’re the kind of person who likes to take things apart, see how they run and put them back together again, this role will suit you nicely!
- Experience using the Microsoft Office suite
- The unrestricted right to work in the UK on a permanent basis
What Go-Ahead can offer you:
- A full induction to the Group
- IMechE membership support
- Opportunity to achieve CEng status
- Membership to the Young Bus Managers’ Network
- Membership to the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport
- Real responsibility – you’ll be managing teams, dealing with operational challenges and making significant decisions
- Full support from mentors and specialists to develop your engineering management and leadership skills
- Opportunities to develop and excel –we invest in the training and development of our graduates, so make the most of what is on offer
- Career progression – to management and beyond
- Free travel on many of Go-Ahead’s services
We are a people centric organisation and welcome applications from diverse backgrounds to support our future business needs and represents the communities we serve. We are looking for talented and creative people to bring their innovative ideas and challenge our way of thinking.