About SMBC Group
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation Bank International plc (SMBC BI) is headquartered in London and is a wholly owned subsidiary of SMBC – a top-tier Japanese bank with a history spanning over 400 years. SMBC BI has become one of the most respected and trusted names in global banking.
We are united by a sense of purpose towards our customers - to be a trusted partner for the long-term - and our universal banking platform in EMEA delivers a full suite of corporate finance products and solutions to our customers, including corporate, structured and trade finance, leveraged finance, loan market and treasury products.
At SMBC Group, we recognise that diversity of background, opinions and perspectives is vital for the sustainable growth of our organisation and benefits of our customers and stakeholders. Our aim is to build an inclusive work environment where each employee feels able to be their authentic self. DRIVE is the umbrella for our employee-led diversity networks and stands for diversity, respect, inclusion, value and equality.
Early Talent Programme
The SMBC EMEA Early Talent Programme is aimed at ambitious entry-level candidates looking to launch their career in finance. We’re in search of bright, curious, and enthusiastic individuals ready to embark on a career in Corporate and Investment Banking.
Are you a recent graduate looking to take the first step in your career? Or have you recently started your career through a different route?
SMBC’s 24-month practical training programme comprises of an initial orientation to SMBC and the Financial Services Industry, formal learning and development in partnership with The London Institute of Banking & Finance and three 8-month rotations to support you in building a holistic understanding of our front office divisions. You will undertake the following rotations:
Risk and/or Credit
Building understanding of how the business manages their credit risk and providing oversight and challenge on risk being taken through deals across our portfolio
Support building relationships, sourcing deals, understand customers through research, analysis, and due diligence
Pitching and marketing offerings, financial modelling, executing deals, building in depth product knowledge
How will you Develop?
You will spend a significant part of your time with us building your industry knowledge and technical skills which you will then apply on the job to effectively perform in your role.
SMBC has partnered with the London Institute of Banking and Finance (LIBF) to deliver a best-in-class learning and training programme which will be delivered through the Level 6 Financial Services Professional apprenticeship. You will also attain the Chartered Associate of The London Institute of Banking & Finance, an industrywide acknowledged professional designation. You will learn through in person and online classes, webinars, industry leading speakers and your peers; and demonstrate your learning through assessments, on the job performance and project work.
The programme is designed to support the development of your industry knowledge and understanding of regulatory requirements, as well as a provide you with a thorough understanding of the bank’s internal procedures
Throughout the programme, you will have access to an extensive support network – Learning Tutor, Programme Manager, Rotation Manager, and a Buddy.
What do we need from you?
- GCSE Maths and English C/4 grade or above
- 3 A Level's in any subject to a minimum grade of BBC/120 UCAS Points
- Fluency in English language
- Either graduated from university after 2020 OR achieved a qualification equivalent to Level 4 in England Wales and Northern Ireland after 2020
- The successful candidate must be available to start on 3rd October 2022
- The successful candidate must, by the start of the employment, have permission to work in the UK
Additional valued skills/experience:
- Strong desire to launch a career in banking and finance
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Effective communication and teamwork skills
- Proactivity and desire to learn
- High level of IT skills, proficient in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
Please note, this development programme is not suitable for individuals that have completed a master’s or post-graduate degree in Banking and/or Finance therefore, we are unable to accept applications from candidates with these qualifications at this time.
What's on Offer?
- Competitive salary and industry leading benefits
- We are committed to supporting employees in different roles, environments and life stages and we offer a competitive benefits package to our employees, including:
- Agile & flexible working
- Private medical insurance
- Enhanced paid leave for maternity, paternity and adoption, and shared parental leave and IVF support
- 6 days of paid volunteering leave
- Once you’ve completed the programme, subject to a standard performance review, you will transition into a Front Office role focused on your strengths and career aspirations
SMBC BI and SMBC Nikko are a proud signatories of the HM Treasury Women in Finance Charter and Race at Work Charter.
As equal opportunity employers, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. As inclusive employers, we are open to exploring flexible and agile working patterns as appropriate.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities. Reasonable adjustments to the recruitment process will be offered, if required, due to a disability or health condition.