Aimed at law or non-law students interested in a career in law, this placement combines legal work experience and exposure to the innovative and technological developments at the heart of our business.
This is an opportunity for students with an inquisitive mind to put their interest in law, technology, software development and innovation into practice in a leading international law firm.
The wealth of skills and experience gained will be invaluable in your development towards becoming a lawyer. Students will be evaluated on their suitability for a legal training contract throughout the placement and if they meet the required benchmark will be offered a legal training contract on completion of the programme.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
The placement will be made up of two rotations where students will spend time in both our Innovation & Business Change Department and the FinTech team.
Our Innovation & Business Change department operates across the firm and comprises two mutually supporting teams - Innovation & New Business and Service Excellence. The department's purpose is to support the Managing Partner and International Executive Committee in the efficient and effective delivery of the firm's strategy - specifically with respect to developing new digital products and services and improving service delivery, including through the application of new/emerging technologies.
Our market leading FinTech team advises clients operating across the FinTech sector, from start-ups to some of the biggest names in the industry. We also advise businesses, partnered with or investing in FinTech firms as well as financial institutions and asset managers, developing their own FinTech products and services.
Responsibilities will include
- Market research projects.
- Helping to assess new and existing technologies and their potential to support the firm's strategy (e.g. ML/NLP, DLT, RPA, document automation, expert systems).
- Creativity and idea generation and management.
- Supporting the Innovation & New Business Team - product development and product management.
- Support event planning and implementation related to FinTech or Innovation & Business Change.
- Legal research tasks.
- Graduate with a first or upper second class degree or equivalent.
- Open to students from all degree backgrounds.
- We are interested to hear from students who have studied STEM or business focused degrees with an interest in becoming lawyers.
Knowledge and technical skills
- Excellent IT skills, including Outlook, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Applicants should have an interest in software and coding as well as the use of technology in business innovation.
- Uses initiative, thinks creatively and has good problem-solving skills.
- Proactive enthusiastic self-starter who thrives in a busy, fast paced environment.
- Able to follow process and procedures to ensure tasks are delivered accurately.
- Good time management skills, able to plan work to meet deadlines and deliver on promises.
- Possesses a client-centred 'can-do' attitude. Listens to the needs of internal and external clients and acts accordingly.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Able to adapt to shifting priorities and adjust plans appropriately.
- Able to communicate effectively and confidently and adapt communications styles to different audiences.
- Able to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently.
- Able to work effectively as part of a diverse and inclusive team.