£33,154 - £34,300
About the role
We are looking to find our future Finance leaders! On the Finance Leadership Graduate Scheme you will undertake three 12-month placements with the opportunity to gain experience in a variety of roles across different Finance teams.
After your first year with us, you’ll have the opportunity to choose a placement for your second and third years allowing you to customise your journey on the Scheme and gain experience relevant for you in achieving your career aspirations. Alongside your placements, National Grid will sponsor you to study towards your professional qualification (CIMA or ACCA) which we expect you to achieve within the three years.
Read on to find out more about our finance teams!
Our finance teams
Transactional / General Accounting teams - This placement is designed to develop your fundamental finance knowledge and technical skills. You’ll come to understand National Grid’s finance systems whilst completing transactional level accounting, posting journals and managing cost centres.
Central Finance Teams - These placements aim to give you a broader understanding of National Grid, either at a UK level or National Grid Group Level and focus on consolidation and messaging. This could include Financial Planning & Analysis, Regulatory Reporting, Group Management Reporting or Treasury.
Business Partnering - A business partner role focuses on providing insight and being a trusted advisor to the teams you support. Each business partnering placement is different, but they all offer the opportunity to develop your stakeholder management, stakeholder engagement, communication, and messaging skills.
Other Placements - In addition to the placements above, there is also the opportunity to complete placements in Tax, Internal Audit, and Project Teams (when available).
You should be able to able to demonstrate:
- strong analytical and numerical skills
- effective communication with the ability to engage people at every level
- a passion to drive success
- an ability to work well with others
- initiative and intellectual curiosity to find a better way
What you'll need
- At minimum you’ll need to achieve a minimum of a 2:2 degree, whilst some of our vacancies will require a 2:1 or a specific related degree, such as Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM). Most of all we need you to be eager to apply your knowledge in a real-world setting.
- Some of our roles will require flexibility to travel when required throughout your placements and will require you to hold a valid full UK Driving Licence
We offer student vacancies based across the UK including Warwick, Leeds, London, Wokingham and Bristol. Some of our roles offer flexible, hybrid working depending on the role requirements.
We care about your wellbeing and want you to get the best out of your working environment, so our future for office-based teams is hybrid. Hybrid working is a mix between home and office working. Flexibility is the key, what’s important is that it meets the needs of the colleague and the business, and that you agree the best approach for you and your team with your manager.
We recruit on a rolling basis and reserve the right to close our vacancies once we have enough applications. We encourage you to apply as early as possible to ensure you obtain the place you want in the application process.
Assessment centres will be held from December 2023 onwards.
What you'll get
We are proud to offer a starting salary of £33,154 (Bachelor’s) or £34,300 (Master’s).
As a first step to your career in the energy industry, our Graduate Programmes are like no other! You’ll gain an insight into how we work at National Grid, understand what a career with us can offer, and receive some great rewards and benefits:
- £2,000 bonus, once joined and started on programme
- 26 days holiday
- £2,400 payment on successful completion of the programme
- Up to £200 per month accommodation allowance as you move around the business, and additional annual leave for when you move between placements plus assistance with moving personal belongings
- Other benefits include pension and share-option schemes, Flexible Benefits, close mentorship and regular feedback, and volunteering opportunities
£33,154 - £34,300
Warwick, Leeds, London, Wokingham and Bristol