The Global Insurance Services Practice (GIS) is a team of over 200 experienced insurance professionals supported by a global network of over 5,000 colleagues. We have first-hand insurance industry knowledge, combined with operational, technical and executional capability.
Our ambition is to grow an insurance focused management consulting and actuarial practice in EMEA by focusing on the current and emerging needs of our clients. These clients turn to us for help with a wide variety of complex problems, including: advice on strategy, mergers and acquisitions, capital, financial and risk management. We advise household names and specialist insurers in both life and general insurance across the region.
The actuarial area of the practice offers a wide range of services in the actuarial field, including (but not limited to):
Pricing & reserve calculations
Helping insurers charge the correct premiums for their products (e.g. car insurance) to reflect the risks they are taking; and ensuring they hold an appropriate amount of financial resources to both comply with regulation and give comfort to policyholders that their claims will be paid.
Capital & reinsurance modelling
Looking at all (financial and non-financial) risks faced by an insurer to calculate the amount of additional financial backing needed to cover the volatility of these risks. This involves carrying out modelling of different scenarios to ensure the amount of resources held is sufficient under different environments that the company may find itself in, in the future.
Mergers & Acquisitions due diligence
Analysing a potential sale or purchase of an insurer from a commercial, strategic, financial and/or actuarial standpoint.
Using actuarial techniques to calculate the amount which a company should hold on its balance sheet so the claims of policyholders can be paid as they become due.
We offer services to both the life and general insurance areas of the actuarial profession. We aim to give the successful candidate exposure to both fields and thus a wide variety of experience in the very varied elements of work carried out by actuaries.
What you will do and how you will grow
As an actuarial graduate in the GIS team, you will work on multiple projects in a wide variety of fields, gaining a large set of skills applicable to many different industries.
- You will receive full study support for undertaking the actuarial exams including:
- Regular study days to prepare for the examination
- Reimbursement of membership fees for the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- Reimbursement of actuarial exam fees, including relevant study materials and approved ACTED tutorials
You will be assigned a coach who will be a member of the senior staff in GIS and will guide you through your career progression and work with you to ensure you obtain the experience you seek at FTI Consulting.
As a consultant in GIS, you will be working with people including actuaries and accountants with a wide variety of skills. The role will be focused on people in the actuarial space, working on capital modelling, regulatory and financial reporting and due diligence, whilst also lending these skills to solving commercial challenges faces by the larger insurance firms in the UK.
You will be gain experience in working with leading software that is used in many actuarial firms across the industry.
Some of your day to day tasks may include:
- Aiding in the delivery of core actuarial risk management projects – exceeding client expectations by demonstrating strong problem-solving skills to addressing project needs
- Learning how to manage complex models and/or research – encompassing a wide range of different regulations (e.g. Solvency II)
- Working effectively with a diverse work force of colleagues and client staff
- Performing analytical work both individually and in wider teams
- Developing the understanding of technical issues
- Performing data checks on work done by colleagues to ensure a quality final product
- Developing an understanding of insurance business strategy and the components that underpin high performance
What we are looking for
We are looking for a driven, inquisitive individual capable of thinking creatively and working as part of a team. In addition to this, candidates must also have:
- Achieved AAB at A-level or equivalent (Including at least an A in Mathematics)
- Achieved/On course to achieve at least a 2:1 degree in a mathematics/science/finance related degree from a good university
The GIS Practice is part of Forensic & Litigation Consulting which offers one of the industry's most complete range of advisory services to clients across the world. In addition to actuarial services, our service offerings include anti-money laundering compliance and investigations, bribery and corruption investigations, forensic accounting, fraud and other financial crime investigations, governance, risk and regulatory advice, regulatory investigations and litigation support and transactional data analytics.
- Please ensure your application includes the following:
- Cover letter to include motivation to work as an actuarial consultant in the Global Insurance Services team at FTI Consulting
- CV to include academic performance at university and results of A-level or equivalent qualifications
- Application deadline is Friday, 20th November 2020.
- Please note only applicants that supply a cover letter will be considered.
Apart from the well-structured career path and excellent team environment, our employees enjoy a variety of perks and benefits.
We offer a competitive benefits and wellbeing programme including private medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, income protection, flex critical illness cover, 5% employer pension contribution, holiday buy, discounted gym membership, interest free travel loans, paid volunteer hours and corporate matching for charitable donations, and much more.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!