About the Role
We provide our clients with a comprehensive view of strategic communications that leverages our integrated suite of services, including financial communications, corporate reputation, transaction communications and public affairs in all the major markets around the world.
The Strategic Communications practice of FTI Consulting is one of the world's most highly regarded communications consultancies. With more than 25 years’ experience advising management teams through their communications needs, our teams of consultants work closely with the businesses they advise by developing strategies to enhance, develop and defend their reputation and market share through the way they communicate with stakeholders and the public. Proactively positioning clients and building their public stories is key to our day-to-day work and being on-hand with tested solutions and advice for crisis points is where our expertise adds value to the businesses we work with.
We have over 200 Strategic Communications colleagues in London and approximately 700 colleagues across our global Strategic Communications network in 17 countries around the world, with plans to grow further. We combine global reach with critical local knowledge and relationships. Our consultants work with teams and their clients in London, with many projects offering the opportunity to gain exposure to businesses across the globe.
Our London-based programme will provide graduates the opportunity to rotate through three different teams. Our sector teams include financial services, retail and consumer, natural resources and energy, real estate and property, industrials, technology media and telecoms and life sciences and healthcare. Our cross-sector practices advise clients from all industries on government relations, internal communications, international campaigns and issues management, strategy and research, special situations and digital strategies.
By rotating through different expert teams, consultants on our graduate scheme have the chance to gain exposure to an incredibly diverse roster of clients, from fast-growing start-ups and scale-ups to FTSE 100 industry leaders and global corporations. The rotations also give graduates the opportunity to build relationships around the business, and gain a wealth of experience across public affairs, corporate, financial, digital and change communications – providing a unique insight into all your possible career paths within the Strategic Communications practice. Following the rotations, graduates submit their preferred speciality choices which will be considered when they are allocated teams at the end of the programme.
Graduates undertake an extensive training programme from leading industry experts and advisors. This covers everything from press release writing to pitching a journalist to how to interpret a client’s balance sheet. Our unique structure also provides graduates with constant exposure to senior colleagues and client representatives from day one.
When you join the Strategic Communications graduate scheme you will be part of a larger graduate cohort both within the Communications segment and wider FTI Consulting. You will therefore have the support of a strong network around you. There are regular personal development training sessions, networking events and other social activities to get involved in with other graduates.
Types of work you will be involved in:
• Research tasks for existing clients/pitch proposals
• Summary/analytical tasks, gauging audience and communications impact
• Press release writing
• Coverage round-ups and analysis
• Calls with journalists and sell-side analysts – selling in press releases and events or seeking feedback on company results
In addition to the experience you will gain, we offer:
• A competitive salary, discretionary bonus and an extensive benefits package
• Excellent training and development opportunities throughout your career at FTI Consulting with a 10-month tailored curriculum for our Strategic Communications segment
• The opportunity to join one of our sector teams or cross-sector practices following successful completion of the graduate scheme
In addition, there will be regular learning and development opportunities working alongside leading advisers in the industry and with specialist client teams. Throughout the scheme you will be supported by your performance coach, a buddy in each of your rotation teams and a mentor who can help support and guide you through your career goals and development, in addition to your Human Resources team.
What we look for:
• A desire to work in Communications and PR
• 2:1 degree (or equivalent) and the equivalent of BBB at A-Level
• Proven interest in working in communications through relevant work experience’
• Outstanding communication and people skills
• Excellent attention to detail
• Strong work ethic
• Creative thinking
• Proactivity and initiative taking
We also want our consultants to be enthusiastic about the opportunities and challenges that lie ahead. Consultants who can demonstrate flexibility and prove their ability to succinctly grasp and summarise complex issues to their peers and clients are essential to our business.
We are looking for ambitious and dynamic graduates to join our September 2021 intake.
Overview of the Application Process and Important Additional Information Required:
1. Submit your covering letter, CV and your answers to the following selection questions via the online application form:
a) Are you available to attend an assessment day in February / March 2021?
b) Would you be able to begin full time employment at the start of September 2021?
c) Do you have a minimum of BBB in your top 3 subjects at A-level?
d) Do you have or are you expecting to achieve a 2:1 or above in your undergraduate university degree or equivalent?
e) Why would you like to work in public relations and why in particular our graduate scheme? (no more than 200 words)
f) Please give an example of a company that has delivered an excellent public relations campaign in the past 12 months and why you thought the campaign made a positive impact? (please do not refer to an advertising campaign, we are looking for PR campaigns only - no more than 200 words)
g) Please provide an example of how you have used creativity or / an ability to overcome a previous challenge, that demonstrated your abilities as an able communicator. (no more than 200 words)
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ABOVE QUESTIONS ARE MANDATORY AND ONLY CANDIDATES WHO SUBMIT ANSWERS WILL BE CONSIDERED
2. If you have passed our initial screening process, we will invite you to a telephone interview and written assessment
3. Successful candidates will be invited to attend an Assessment Day at our offices in London. Over the course of the day you will complete group and individual assessments and interview with members of the Strategic Communications practice
4. Successful candidates will be offered a role on our graduate scheme
5. The start date will be in early September 2021
The closing date for applications is midnight 9 January 2021.
Apart from the well-structured career path and excellent team environment, our employees enjoy a variety of perks and benefits.
We offer a competitive benefits and wellbeing programme including private medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, income protection, flex critical illness cover, 5% employer pension contribution, holiday buy, discounted gym membership, interest free travel loans, paid volunteer hours and corporate matching for charitable donations, and much more.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!